News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Kitteh Cannon

Started by juansolo, December 13, 2014, 05:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Fuzzaliciously and kitty cute to the max!
Thanks by the way for posting those big box JumboTB values, I've built one as well and dig that too! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

juansolo

Quote from: cooder on March 12, 2015, 08:24:16 PM
Thanks by the way for posting those big box JumboTB values, I've built one as well and dig that too! 8)

It's surprising just how few changes make such a big difference. For the gains we've found we prefer med gains in Q1-2 (around 300) and high in Q3 (500+). If you want it to be more B&M flavoured you go high in Q1-2 and med in 3 IIRC. Cleggy will remember what was suggested... (my memory is absolutely horrible on such things). I'll also get him to note the cap and resistor we have in parallel to switch between Fuzz Unit and Tonebender (which considering I only built it today, kinda backs up the memory thing...).
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

cooder

Quote from: juansolo on March 12, 2015, 08:55:29 PM
Quote from: cooder on March 12, 2015, 08:24:16 PM

It's surprising just how few changes make such a big difference. For the gains we've found we prefer med gains in Q1-2 (around 300) and high in Q3 (500+). If you want it to be more B&M flavoured you go high in Q1-2 and med in 3 IIRC. Cleggy will remember what was suggested... (my memory is absolutely horrible on such things). I'll also get him to note the cap and resistor we have in parallel to switch between Fuzz Unit and Tonebender (which considering I only built it today, kinda backs up the memory thing...).
Oh yes I'd like more detailed info on that! I made a board for this myself that supports my pot positioning for top mounted switches, maybe I modify that layout to incorporate the switchable values... hmmm... sounds really worth it me reckons!
That layout has an adjustable pre-gain placed at input, quite useful too. More switches and tweakability?!?
Why not I'd say...

I've only used run of the mill BC550 so far, would be great to get some advice on your experience with thrannies then too, as far as Cleggy might have written it down or so.
Cheers!
BigNoise Amplification

juansolo

I think it's fairly nailed on sonically, but the switch is a worthy addition. The Fuzz Unit is quite scooped compared to the Jumbo Tonebender, and it really gives the Edwyn Collins tone so is pretty worth it. Not sure I'd adjust anything else though. I just like it stock.

juansolo

K here it comes:

On the 1776 Sucker Punch R4 15k on board, with a 30k in parallel on the switch.

On the 1776 Sucker Punch C11 3n3 on board, with a 1n5 in parallel on the switch.

The switch one way adds the cap (JTB), the other adds the resistor (B&M).

Gains we like are Q1-3: 350, 300, 580

The Faustone B&M was 580, 580, 170

The latter gives it a more splatty character to us. Just go with which you prefer.

We've been using BC149Cs. Getting them from eBay, they're around a pound each, but seem to suit the circuit really well.

cooder

Awesome, thanks for the info! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

Guitarmageddon

Haha! Pussy projectiles FTW! ;D
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com