News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Unwanted Crackling Paint

Started by Dulouz, December 18, 2014, 07:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dulouz

Hey Guys!

Just wanted to get some insight on a problem I've come across.

When I paint an enclosure, I put a coat on and bake it for 30 min on 150. I typically let it cool for 30 min or so before putting on a second coat.

Every once in a while the paint will mysteriously crackle up. It doesn't expose any metal, just wrinkles up. I think I have it narrowed down to the paint brand (Rustoleum), but I can't say for sure. Have any of you experienced this? Any tips on how to prevent it?

Luke51411

I've had rustoleum crackle on me a few times, usually when using different colors or applying a clear coat. I don't know if it is because the new coat was applied too soon or too thick. I don't really have any advice but I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

pickdropper

Try using Acrylic based paints and see if it fixes the issue. It may or may not, but it's worth a try.  I've had issues with Enamel, especially if it isn't fully cured.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Matt

I had tha issue for a while. I figured out that I wasn't using enough layers with each paint.
Matt

Soup39

Do you prime the enclosure first?

GermanCdn

I've had it happen with Rustoleum as well, and not consistently (as in one colour will crack, the next one won't).  Sometimes it looked cool, one of Josh's BeeBaa fuzzes is in an enclosure that looks totally diseased because of the way the cracking/pitting went, which totally fits the pedal.  But it's also the exception to the rule.  Pretty sure I sanded and primed all of the enclosures first as well (it was a couple of summers ago).

I found that by the time I fixed the enclosures that cracked, it would have been cheaper to order finished enclosures from PPP, and they would have looked a lot better.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pickdropper

Quote from: GermanCdn on December 18, 2014, 02:14:58 PM
I've had it happen with Rustoleum as well, and not consistently (as in one colour will crack, the next one won't).  Sometimes it looked cool, one of Josh's BeeBaa fuzzes is in an enclosure that looks totally diseased because of the way the cracking/pitting went, which totally fits the pedal.  But it's also the exception to the rule.  Pretty sure I sanded and primed all of the enclosures first as well (it was a couple of summers ago).

I found that by the time I fixed the enclosures that cracked, it would have been cheaper to order finished enclosures from PPP, and they would have looked a lot better.

I find that's true for painting in general.  By the time you sand, prime, paint (multiple coats) the $5 or so for a PPP finish seems like a bargain, and it looks better and is reliable.

Now, if one enjoys painting, that is a different story.  Some folks here do fantastic work.  I don't particularly love it, however.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Dulouz

Quote from: Soup39 on December 18, 2014, 01:14:05 PM
Do you prime the enclosure first?

I did not. And now that you mention it, the enclosures that didn't crack were painted with paint+primer-in-one.

I took it back down to the metal and bought a can of the same color in Valspar paint+primer-in-one. I'll let you know how it turns out in the build reports.

Willybomb

My experience with rustoleum hasnt been great.  I gave the X-fuzz pedal I'd built to it's intended recipient and found that the paint had been marked/creased/moved just by being carried in a bag.  Its a bit soft, plus I'd put a lot of thick coats on which wouldnt have helped.

Still, it'd been about 2 weeks of sitting there in 25c heat.  I'm going back to an etching primer/2k combination.