News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Really enjoying my Knopfler Logic plugin today

Started by midwayfair, December 27, 2014, 04:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

:P

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9878279/Midway%20Fair%20-%20demos%20and%20scratch%20tracks/Firebird.mp3

I used my Sakura amp's new "clean" mode for the lead guitar, miced with the MK4. NO post eq at all. I used the red tele with Kinmans through a Bearhug, EB volume pedal, El Capistan set to dotted 8ths, and a little post compression (set very very low for most of the song and just compressed harder for the solo instead of automating up the volume). The bass is direct also through a bearhug, and I re-programmed the drums from a logic drummer track. The "steel" guitar is the Don Qcaster with a copper slide run through a bearhug, fuzz, snow day, EB VP, and El Capistan, and if that's not enough compression for you, it's compressed pretty hard in post as well.

1,000 bonus internet points if you can guess which English ballad's tune I plundered/perverted for this song (here's a hint: Bob Dylan wrote a song that used the original tune). Heck, I'll see if I can find something among my stash to give you if you can name the war that the song takes place during.

peterc

Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

Willybomb

Googling... I'm guessing the bob dylan track was "ballad in plain d", taken from "I loved a girl"/"forsaken lover", and I'm guessing American Civil War.

Leevibe

Wow. That's a great recording. No idea on the tune or the war.

Urs

Very nice track, ... it reminds to Fairport Convention...

Happy New Year

midwayfair

Quote from: Willybomb on December 27, 2014, 05:51:22 AM
Googling... I'm guessing the bob dylan track was "ballad in plain d", taken from "I loved a girl"/"forsaken lover", and I'm guessing American Civil War.

Wrong song, but thanks for reminding me that exists; I haven't heard it in years. Listening to it now! EDIT: Wow, even Dylan doesn't like his take on that song. It's very long.

Quote from: peterc on December 27, 2014, 05:47:35 AM
Crimean war?

Correct continent and at least one nation involved is correct. Wrong century!

Soup39

midwayfair

Quote from: Soup39 on December 27, 2014, 06:57:42 PM
Revolutions of 1848?

Nope (same century as the Crimean war). However, that is an interesting subject for a song and intriguingly close to the Arab spring. Knopfler has a song about the napoleonic wars that's pretty tragic for similar reasons.

RobA

Beautiful playing and composition! The production is really good too.

I'm afraid my knowledge of English ballads is woefully lacking, but it reminds me a bit of The Green Fields of France (No Man's Land). It doesn't really sound the same, but there's something about the way the vocal lines run that brought up the association in my mind. If that were the one, then it would be about war in general but reflecting on WWI specifically.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Blues Healer

great tune, Jon

I can't name the tune it's based on.

Instead, I'll offer one of my favorite songs about war ... an oldie, but a goody:
"music heals"

midwayfair

Quote from: Blues Healer on December 28, 2014, 04:41:53 AM
great tune, Jon

I can't name the tune it's based on.

Instead, I'll offer one of my favorite songs about war ... an oldie, but a goody:

I love that album! It has another good war tune on it, "Arthur McBride," which is (a) Paul Brady's best vocal take ever on anything and (b) my favorite Christmas song.

I've been trying to think of a couple good clues that wouldn't just give the answer away ... let's see. The general subject matter of the song appears in the Dylan song that uses the same tune I borrowed and twisted.

Rob's got the right century, wrong decade, right continent, and the wrong combatants. :P

RobA

Quote from: midwayfair on December 28, 2014, 05:39:18 AM
[...]
Rob's got the right century, wrong decade, right continent, and the wrong combatants. :P
Well, that's go to narrow things done quite a bit. There aren't that many wars left on that continent and that century between different combatants. If only Dylan had a smaller catalog...
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Jabulani Jonny

Really nice tune John. Loved the time on that lead, definitely cranked the "MOAR KNOPFLER" plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan