News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Micro Range Master

Started by JakeFuzz, May 28, 2011, 06:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

My very first 1590A build. Straight up Rangemaster with a treble-mids-bass switch (5n, 15n, 32n). Uses an NPN OC140 with hfe ~ 76. I was going to apply some graphics but I felt I was missing the rugged bare finish on my board and this aluminum enclosure looks really cool sanded to 150 grit. The knob is the fire engine red chickenhead from smallbear. It was fun fitting it all in, but I feel I had some space to spare.

Sound? Well I only briefly tested it just to make sure it was functionally okay last night. My roommate is still asleep, more when I can rock out.

I very much like the challenge of a 1590A and definitely want to try more complicated builds.

jcuempire

Wow, that's amazing.  Nice use of limited space.  I agree, the polished metal with the red knob looks killer.  Nice job

bigmufffuzzwizz

Great job. Is that a Madbean layout self etch?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

JakeFuzz

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on May 28, 2011, 08:53:43 PM
Great job. Is that a Madbean layout self etch?

It is on vero board. I found the smallest layout I could, truth be told you could probably etch something a little smaller. There was quite a bit of space left over even with this layout.

Ahhh! roommate is still asleep, getting impatient, must play new toy.

sgmezei

Cool build man. I love the tiny enclosures. They are always so freakin' cute and packed with guts. I have only done a slambox and loop switcher in one but am looking to do more. I know there is a huge thread on DIYstomp about them.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: sgmezei on May 28, 2011, 09:11:25 PM
Cool build man. I love the tiny enclosures. They are always so freakin' cute and packed with guts. I have only done a slambox and loop switcher in one but am looking to do more. I know there is a huge thread on DIYstomp about them.

Dude! That DIY thread is insane. I was checking that out last night. Some of the stuff they can get in there is just ridiculous. I was so proud of my little RM until I saw that people were packing 5 knob drives, delays and vibes into these things. And the "Toe Wah", very impressive. 

stecykmi

Quote from: JakeFuzz on May 28, 2011, 09:21:23 PM
Quote from: sgmezei on May 28, 2011, 09:11:25 PM

Dude! That DIY thread is insane. I was checking that out last night. Some of the stuff they can get in there is just ridiculous. I was so proud of my little RM until I saw that people were packing 5 knob drives, delays and vibes into these things. And the "Toe Wah", very impressive. 

sounds neat, got a link?

petesz

Awesome! I recently did the NPN Rangemaster build from fuzz central, i think it sounds really cool. Bought a pack of 3 x 2n388a's so gonna make another two of them! And ive got a spare 1590A enclosure lying around too.. hmm.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: petesz on May 29, 2011, 01:41:08 AM
Awesome! I recently did the NPN Rangemaster build from fuzz central, i think it sounds really cool. Bought a pack of 3 x 2n388a's so gonna make another two of them! And ive got a spare 1590A enclosure lying around too.. hmm.

Haha, do it!  ;D Its the perfect circuit to cram into a 1590A, small, only one knob. I wonder if you stack these into each other can you get FF or Tonebender tones, might be an interesting experiment.

sgmezei

Here is my loop switcher. I really like it for solos, turn on my DM2 and boost/overdrive at once. Less tapdancing.

[attachment deleted by admin]

JakeFuzz

Just finished a little test run. Sounds like the Germania I used to own, would be fantastic with a lower watt amp that breaks up quickly. Gets that crazy clipping quality when you slam on the strings real hard. It works really well in front of fuzz and overdrive for an extra boost. Really pushes the germanium fuzzes through the mud. It gets pretty noisy though which is not too nice. 

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: JakeFuzz on May 29, 2011, 04:06:54 AM
Just finished a little test run. Sounds like the Germania I used to own, would be fantastic with a lower watt amp that breaks up quickly. Gets that crazy clipping quality when you slam on the strings real hard. It works really well in front of fuzz and overdrive for an extra boost. Really pushes the germanium fuzzes through the mud. It gets pretty noisy though which is not too nice. 

That reminds me of what a Champ sounds like gets when it breaks up to hell. It begins to sag like crazy and the note has a delayed almost decaying property. Me want....

dwstanford

That little sucker is awesome.  I love rangemasters. I like to use them in front of just about everything and to push the hell out of a  tube amp.  They definitely don't sound that great through a really clean amp signal like a twin reverb or most other American clean sounding amps (unless you crank 'em).  I think it was designed as a treble boost to allow british amps to cut through the mix better for solos and such.  As a side effect, it also adds some rich harmonic distortion like you have heard on many a great album from the likes of the Beatles, Hendrix, Zeppelin,  Queen, etc.  Brian May used it in front of his famous Deacy transistor amp to get his coveted sound.  (Along with about a hundred AC30's.) :)

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: dwstanford on May 29, 2011, 03:57:36 PM
I think it was designed as a treble boost to allow british amps to cut through the mix better for solos and such.  As a side effect, it also adds some rich harmonic distortion like you have heard on many a great album from the likes of the Beatles, Hendrix, Zeppelin,  Queen, etc.  Brian May used it in front of his famous Deacy transistor amp to get his coveted sound.  (Along with about a hundred AC30's.) :)

According to the Analogman's Guide to Vintage Effects;
"The 1960's also brought a variety of transistor based signal boosters, most notable, the treble booster. This initially began as a particularly British phenomenon; UK music distributor John Hornby-Skewes offered a treble booster to complement his Zonk Machine; and British amp maker, Orange, had a treble booster as well. The trend was likely due to teh fact that most of the British-made amps of the era tended to sound a little dark. Shortly before building his first fuzz pedal, Roger Mayer had been building treble boosters. He told us, "There were a couple of records out that used considerable amounts of treble. If you listen to some of the American records, they were obviously cut on Fender amps, which were very bright and clear. And in England at that time, the Fender amps were extraordinarily expensive, and not at all readily available." I think the other big musician to note that used one is Eric Clapton on the John Mayall And the Bluesbreakers album. It still amazes me that Tony Iommi's guitar sound is all treble. That means Geezer must really hold down the bass.