News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

RAH Vero build: No gain

Started by AntKnee, January 10, 2015, 12:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGP39

That is GREAT news Anthony!!  How's it sound?
Steve
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

AntKnee

Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 12, 2015, 03:01:30 AM
Glad you got it going. If you get a few minutes can you post your voltages now that you got it working? I have one of these boxed up that I was pretty underwhelmed by and would love to see how far my voltages are off.

Thanks
Cody

I will crack it back open soon and get new numbers for you. I boxed it and rocked it earlier today, but I am waiting for my yellow LEDs to arrive so I can put the finishing touches on the enclosure and do a build report.

Steve, I really like the sound, and the eq on this is one of my favs on an overdrive. Playing through my vox, with a Les Paul gets some very nice Zep tones. Its not a high gain overdrive by any means. Its very reactive to how you play, guitar volume, and picking technique. I tried a boost (SHO) in front of it and didnt like it. I dont know if it will play well with other overdrive/distortion pedals. I will be experimenting a lot with it, though. I recommend it! I even asked Haberdasher too fab a couple boards for me to keep handy.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

AntKnee

Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 12, 2015, 03:01:30 AM
Glad you got it going. If you get a few minutes can you post your voltages now that you got it working? I have one of these boxed up that I was pretty underwhelmed by and would love to see how far my voltages are off.

Thanks
Cody

Cody, here are those final numbers for you:
Q1 D= 5.72 G= 2.73 S= 3.35
Q2 D= 5.71 G= 2.71 S= 3.34
Q3 D= 5.70 G= 2.72 S= 3.33

selfdestroyer

Quote from: AntKnee on January 12, 2015, 11:27:44 PM
Cody, here are those final numbers for you:
Q1 D= 5.72 G= 2.73 S= 3.35
Q2 D= 5.71 G= 2.71 S= 3.34
Q3 D= 5.70 G= 2.72 S= 3.33

Thanks so much, I will pop mine open tonight and give it a check.

Cody

TGP39

Cody, are you getting pretty much the same voltage readings on your RAH?

Steve.

selfdestroyer

Sorry, I was out of town for work and away from toys. Here are my voltages.

BS170's
Q1 D= 5.8 G= 5.2 S= 3.7
Q2 D= 5.8 G= 5.2 S= 3.6
Q3 D= 5.8 G= 5.2 S= 3.7

I used the "Prince Albert" layout by plesur @ FreeStombox
http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16922&hilit=RAH&start=40#p190077

Cody

angrykoko

Cody,

Did you match your fets or pick certain ones for this?
I've got a Prince Albert populated i'm testing and while it sounds great it doesn't quite have the "amp pushed to limit" feel I remember getting from a real RAH I tried.  I don't have any more BS170's around to try so.. before I order some thought I'd ask.

Koko
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: angrykoko on January 15, 2015, 09:20:54 PM
Cody,

Did you match your fets or pick certain ones for this?
I've got a Prince Albert populated i'm testing and while it sounds great it doesn't quite have the "amp pushed to limit" feel I remember getting from a real RAH I tried.  I don't have any more BS170's around to try so.. before I order some thought I'd ask.

Koko

It was so long ago when I built this I can not remember, but I can pull the transistors out tonight (since I socket-ed them) and get the gain settings of them and see if they are matched. Its really not that gainy for me either but with with my Gibson SG and the Naga Viper in front of it, it comes alive. I really want to re-box the RAH with my Naga, I have attempted a few times but I get side tracked and never get it done.

Cody

TGP39

selfdestroyer

Fet gains

Q1 VGS(ON) 2.298v
     VGS(OFF) 1.580v
Q2 VGS(ON) 2.364v
     VGS(OFF) 1.637v
Q3 VGS(ON) 2.305v
     VGS(OFF) 1.584v

Cody

AntKnee

FWIW, I did not match my BS170's, and I used the tagboard vero layout.