News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

JB Weld

Started by PhiloB, January 17, 2015, 10:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

I just used JB Weld for the first time. I put in a battery clip and I used it to secure the LED in the enclosure. I read on the frequently asked questions part of JB Weld website that the stuff is an insulator and is not conductive.  can anybody on here confirm that it will not cause a bridge between the two LED leads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blearyeyes

I think you're the man to answer that question!

Plug that puppy in. If you get any magic smoke let me know! 8-))

GrindCustoms

Set your DMM to it's most accurate resistance reading, put your probes in the paste dry or fresh and look for any readings.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

alanp

Put a blob on some cardboard, with two bits of wire in it. Strip the ends, and put them about as close as the LED legs are (but not touching.)

Leave it to dry.

Come back and test the resistance between the two bits of wire :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

mremic01

Quote from: PhiloB on January 17, 2015, 10:07:48 PM
I just used JB Weld for the first time. I put in a battery clip and I used it to secure the LED in the enclosure. I read on the frequently asked questions part of JB Weld website that the stuff is an insulator and is not conductive.  can anybody on here confirm that it will not cause a bridge between the two LED leads.

I use it all the time. It's not conductive, it's just a good hard epoxy. The marketing is supposed to make you think it's metal strong, but it's not actually metal. Well, if there is some metal in there, it's not enough to do anything.

PhiloB

Just got home and tested it.  No reading on resistance.  No noise with the continuity setting.  Looking good.  Not totally dry yet but getting close.
Yes, I used it first without testing it:(  Sometimes I'm too trusting of info on websites.

Leevibe

I tried JB for a battery clip once and it didn't bond. I'm sure I did something wrong. After that, I went to VHB tape. That stuff is uber powerful. Haven't put a battery in a pedal for a long time though.

PhiloB

Hoping it holds Leevibe.  I'll report back tomorrow once it's had a chance to cure 100%.  I meant to scratch up the bottom of the clip.  That may make a difference.

mremic01

Quote from: Leevibe on January 18, 2015, 12:10:05 AM
I tried JB for a battery clip once and it didn't bond. I'm sure I did something wrong. After that, I went to VHB tape. That stuff is uber powerful. Haven't put a battery in a pedal for a long time though.

That doesn't sound right. Even if it's poorly mixed, it should still bond at least ok-ishly. Sounds like something might have been wrong with that batch. I'd also recommend the regular stuff, not the quick dry. The regular stuff is much stronger.

AntKnee

I once used it to fill an errant hole I drilled. I put tape one one side, then filled hole with JB (just like Juan and Cleg's envirotex tutorial), and then sanded the outside smooth. Worked great.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

96ecss

Quote from: PhiloB on January 18, 2015, 02:16:58 AM
Hoping it holds Leevibe.  I'll report back tomorrow once it's had a chance to cure 100%.  I meant to scratch up the bottom of the clip.  That may make a difference.

I've used JB Weld many times for holding a battery clip. I found that scratching the bottom of the clip and the spot in the enclosure where the clip will go makes a big difference.

I sand the bottom of theclip with very coarse sand paper. The coarsest I can find. The more scratches the better. I rough up the spot in the enclosure with a tool called a scratch awl. The nastier it looks the better. I'll include a pic of a scratch awl. Then I clean both surfaces with alcohol. I put a small piece of wood in the clip to simulate a battery because the clip flexes open when the battery is in it.

Before I started doing it this way, about one in three clips would fall out. Since I've been doing it this way, I have not had one fall out.

Also, I've used both the regular JB Weld and the JB Weld quick. I have not had a problem with either one.

Dave

PhiloB

96ECS,  the clip popped right out when I put a battery in.  I'll try you scratching technique with fake battery neck time.

96ecss

I cut a small piece of wood the same thickness as a 9V battery from a paint mixing stick. It flexes the clip so that when the JB hardens, the clip doesn't have to flex open when you put the battery in.

Dave

Leevibe

VHB tape seriously holds super well and it's an instant bond.

PhiloB

Leevibe, local hardware store or Internet purchase?