News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boneyard

Started by slimtriggers, June 04, 2011, 01:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimtriggers

Just did a quick demo playing around with the dynamics of this.  I put some comments in the track to hopefully answer some questions.  It's probably not the best recording, I always have trouble setting levels, but I think it gives a decent idea of some of the sounds.

Just me noodling :)

http://soundcloud.com/slimtriggers/plexi

nzCdog

Cool demo, nice structure and good quality...  its good to hear what these pedals can do, thanks for posting it :)

slimtriggers

Thanks for checking it out :)

This pedal really seems to take other pedals well, if that makes sense.  There's some fizzy-ness on the decay, though,  that I can't seem to dial out.  I may try to pop another opamp in there to see if that's the culprit.

bigmufffuzzwizz

That really sounds great. I'm shocked by the dynamics it has. It sounds like the pedal is off when you first turn it on. And then into that great crunch tone. Is there some guitar volume knob action going on here?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Myramyd

Hey,

Thanks for posting this--I've been trying to troubleshoot mine for over a month. Yours doesn't sound that far off so now I'm thinking maybe there isn't anythIng wrong with mine. In which case, perhaps the pedal isn't what I thought it was. Mine has that fizzy decay also...

How far do you have the gain knobs turned up?

Also to clarify, for the leads you have a TS going into it in high gain mode?

J

slimtriggers

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on June 04, 2011, 04:13:02 AM
That really sounds great. I'm shocked by the dynamics it has. It sounds like the pedal is off when you first turn it on. And then into that great crunch tone. Is there some guitar volume knob action going on here?

No volume knob twiddling, that was just playing harder or softer.  It really responds to the dynamics of your playing like an amp does.

Quote from: Myramyd on June 04, 2011, 04:36:44 AM
Hey,

Thanks for posting this--I've been trying to troubleshoot mine for over a month. Yours doesn't sound that far off so now I'm thinking maybe there isn't anythIng wrong with mine. In which case, perhaps the pedal isn't what I thought it was. Mine has that fizzy decay also...

How far do you have the gain knobs turned up?

Also to clarify, for the leads you have a TS going into it in high gain mode?

J

I wish I'd made note of the settings on the pedal.  I know that I didn't have either gain knob cranked.  I think they were around 2 o'clock.   I did have the volume knob on the pedal WAY down to keep from being too loud.  It was around 9 o'clock.  I didn't use the boost at all.  And I think the tone knob was around 11 o'clock.  It doesn't seem to get super hi-gain, but I was playing at low volume through a clean amp.   

Yes, there's a TS going into it for the leads.   It really takes well to the TS.  Seems to like the fuzz pedal, too.

night-B

Great demo! It makes me want to build one  ;)

mjcyates

QuoteThanks for posting this--I've been trying to troubleshoot mine for over a month. Yours doesn't sound that far off so now I'm thinking maybe there isn't anythIng wrong with mine. In which case, perhaps the pedal isn't what I thought it was. Mine has that fizzy decay also...

I just finished my Boneyard and I really didn't care for it. I replaced the LED clippers with silicon diode clippers and it sounds much better to me. I have found that I usually do not like the sound of LED clipping. It just seems kind of harsh to me. You may want to try this before you give up on it.

Myramyd

It really makes me wonder what the people did with the CM to make the demos sound so good.

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng4peS3MjrY

Sounds nothing like my Boneyard at all.

But, as you say, my next step is to desolder then socket the LEDs, also the non-stock components and do some experimenting.

But when I put a TS in front of the Boneyard it does sound more like I want it to--it sounds like the demo above.  :P

J

yomanfree

hello
effectivelly the demo doesn't sound like a plexitone (I have it). Even if the sound of this demo remains good and the boneyard seems really dynamic....
The youtube demo is exactly how the plexitone sounds and to be honest, I've never found before a pedal like this ....

A bientot

slimtriggers

I initially tried to get a convincing VH type tone, but I couldn't get it with this pedal.  Maybe more due to my lack of skill than anything else :-\

Even so, it does have a very amp-like response and I like the sounds it gets.   But I agree that it's not the same as the tones in the Pete Thorn video.   (BTW, Pete Thorn's album is great if you haven't heard it yet)

I definitely want to try out other diodes for clipping.  :)

petesz

sounds great! i like it. nice playing too.

slimtriggers

slimtriggers

A quick do over with R5 changed to 47R.  Makes a big difference IMHO.  Playing's a bit sloppy.  Sorry about that.   :(

No 808 used in this.  The only drive is the Boneyard.

http://soundcloud.com/slimtriggers/plex2

k.rock!

Greaaaat!! It does sound waay better in my opinion! Much closer to the original Plexitone. I think this is something we should report back to Brian as an improvement (or maybe correction?) since it seems like a few guys have had good results with R5 being 47ohms...

Thanks for the demo!!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com