News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

An apology to members

Started by madbean, February 19, 2015, 09:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wgc

Quote from: Vallhagen on February 20, 2015, 12:09:24 PM
Funny, i completely missed the drama. Had to read up a bit when i saw this thread.

I completely missed it too. (My apology still stands though.)

There's always ups and downs in any great organization, so it was bound to happen sooner or later. Coulda been worse!  Things were still surprisingly civil here, which is a credit to all.

Quote from: jimilee on February 20, 2015, 05:16:50 PM
Hey, you guys want to go get a beer and forget all this??

Hell yeah. If any of you are ever in Pittsburgh, please send a note and beer is on me.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

TreeSlayer

Quote from: jkokura on February 19, 2015, 05:30:40 PM
I'm hearing pretty continually here that people would have appreciated more communication.

I'm really sorry for letting the community down in such a manner. I tried my best, but I failed. I feel really awful about it, and for the conversation that ensued. I'm sorry, and I ask for your forgiveness.

Jacob
always remember. the last One that was perfect, was crucified.

Layton
"At the line it's just you, me and the tree." the TreeSlayer

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

Govmnt_Lacky

I have had a few days to digest what has transpired and would like to post a reply. I am who I am and if it offends some then so be it but....

First of all... to Brian.... I would like to apologize to you about what has transpired. I know that this community would not be here if it were not for you. I truly believe in what it is you do here and that you have nothing but the best intentions in what it is that you do. That being said... I do not believe that you owe an apology in this situation. I would however, like to suggest that you increase the number of moderators for the overall forum. In the end, it will definitely ensure better communication and response to the forum members. Just a suggestion.

Second... It appears that the common "opinion" is that my not-so-frequent requests for updates on the latest contest was because "I didn't think things were going fast enough" or it was "not on MY time." I would like to address this. I work in and live in a world where people make promises, suggestions, or enter into a "deal" with others and when they do, they are expected to hold up their end of the bargain. Regardless of whether or not it is free, paid into, or just for fun. By creating deadlines, announcing projected results, etc. you are in essence entering into a sort of friendly contract that... as long as we do our work and due diligence and abide by the rules set forth that the other party will do the same. If someone were to submit an entry 2 days late I would expect that it would not be accepted. Likewise, failing to hold up the other end of the bargain should be held to the same standard. Following this is the only true way to ensure success and to ensure confidence in further exploits. I know that some of you may disagree with this however, I KNOW that some of you agree. Perhaps a good solution to this problem would be to not only have a minimum of 2 people in charge of running these "contests" but to also ensure a minimum of weekly updates on progress. I know that it is frowned upon to request what is going on but... it seems communication is the primary apology in this thread so.....

Third... I have been doing this for a LONG time. That's not to say that I deserve any kind of preference over other members. What it means is that I know how things go. I know that there are about a dozen or so members on this forum that generally have the overall say-so on what goes on. I also get the sense that if there is any input OTHER THAN those members that it is quickly dismissed or not taken at full face value. This, I believe, is a problem that will come back to bite. I know of at least 2 other members that have gone from full bore wanting to be a member of the community to just occasionally lurking because of this mentality... and these are people that would/could provide invaluable knowledge and experience here.

Finally... I did apologize to Brian about what has transpired. I would also like to apologize to the forum members in general for not being more tactful in the way I presented or represented my feeling or situation however, the apologies stop there. All else I have said I will stand by. I believe that most.... if not all... of the other addressed items were genuine and could be backed 100%. I initially went into this latest contest with the best intentions and wanting to help however, due to other actions unknown to most forum members I believe that it was not taken at face value. A shame maybe but, that is what it was. I will continue to do what I do in still being a member of this forum. I will help when I can, offer advice if I can, and support the continued aspirations of other forum members. I do not do this as a "business." I do this for the fun and for the satisfaction that maybe I can help others with that problem they are having and mentally picture the smile on their face when they rock their build for the first time! I will not be participating in any further competitions until other matters are resolved.

Thanks so much to Brian for stepping up and offer the olive branch when it was most definitely not required. You are a class act sir! And thank you to all the other forum members for constantly inspiring me in my builds and allowing me to help you with my limited knowledge.

Greg

juansolo

I've desperately tried to stay out of this but honestly I think everyone else had had a go, so shall I.

Arguing on an internet forum is counter-productive and is impossible to 'win'. Quite frankly the written word does not convey emotion, intent, inflection or anything else for that matter. Some people are better at it than others and some people can come over abrasive. Both main protagonists have drifted into the latter category and have proceeded to wind each other up no end with neither really backing down. Both of you have now apologised with caveats once again stating your points.

Just let it lie.
It's done.
It's over.
Move on.

For the competitions. Personally I'd never run another if it's going to set of this sort of bullshit again.

For the paranoia regarding the secret society. Seriously!? It's a fucking internet forum not the illuminati.

This needs to all stop now.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

brucer

Quote from: juansolo on February 22, 2015, 01:52:46 PM
I've desperately tried to stay out of this but honestly I think everyone else had had a go, so shall I.

Arguing on an internet forum is counter-productive and is impossible to 'win'. Quite frankly the written word does not convey emotion, intent, inflection or anything else for that matter. Some people are better at it than others and some people can come over abrasive. Both main protagonists have drifted into the latter category and have proceeded to wind each other up no end with neither really backing down. Both of you have now apologised with caveats once again stating your points.

Just let it lie.
It's done.
It's over.
Move on.

For the competitions. Personally I'd never run another if it's going to set of this sort of bullshit again.

For the paranoia regarding the secret society. Seriously!? It's a fucking internet forum not the illuminati.

This needs to all stop now.

... and I thought i loved juansolo only for the super clean builds, great advice and cool circuits (and bewbs ... sorry ... I couldn't help it)!

raulduke

Been away snowboarding and come back and it looks like the shit has hit the fan  :o

It's certainly honorable of Brian to apologize, but I don't really see any reason why he should.

I agree with Juan. Lets just leave the contests.

Any form of competition is naturally going to lead to someone feeling disappointed or hard done by.

GrindCustoms

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

willqen

Hello Brian, everyone.
I've just joined this community after buying a couple of boards and lurking around for a couple of days. Obviously what I've seen impressed me otherwise I wouldn't be here, & as my schedule is full & life is short I can only participate in so many "things" before I run out of "daylight" and it's time to crash (& burn). This is my first post (reply) here of any kind and I'm doing it because I was really surprised when I ran across this thread where the owner/operator is expressing an apology. After reading a while I knew I had to respond, I hope you have sufficient time in your day to read my response Brian, although I understand you probably don't but I have to try.
Lot's of opinions & ideas expressed here. That's to be expected.
For what it's worth, here is my opinion.
Brian; I've bought a couple, three, four boards from you. The quality of them is fantastic. Not just saying this. They really are very, very good. Having done something like that, with that kind of quality, tells me you are perhaps a perfectionist, or at least try to do your best in all things. There in lies my response to your apology. I'm pretty sure that like your boards, with this contest you must have done your best with whatever part you played or were involved in it. That is all you can do. All anyone, including yourself, can expect. Mistakes, if this indeed was one, happen. They just do. We humans cannot learn a damn thing unless we make a mistake. The best of us take our mistakes as a lesson. I'm sure you do too. I believe, for those of us that are human, that's the best use of a mistake. A lesson. The rest, unless we fail to heed the lesson, is just background noise. You've done fantastic work here with what you've created. Even though I've only been around a couple, three, four days, that's easy to see. What ever it was that happened with this contest that made you think you needed to apologize . . . well, you made your apology so now go on and do what you've been doing. It's good. You do good work. Keep doing it and don't worry about this anymore. Incorporate the lessons learned and keep on truckin. I'm sure that that is exactly what you would tell me if our roles were reversed and that is mostly what I wanted you to know. That you would tell me exactly the same thing. Oh, and don't forget what you've already accomplished here. It's very good.
Will