News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Is there a diy version of this?

Started by micromegas, February 28, 2015, 11:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micromegas

I love those resonant fiters with LFO and the ability to use the VCO to get trem sounds too.
It uses this VCA: http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/SSM2164.pdf

It seems like an awesome piece of gear for the western/drone music I'm into right now (if you could call it that.... or maybe it is just minor chords and a lot of reverb and reverse delay ;D).

The Frostwave Resonator is an awesome resonant filter too, but more dramatic than this one and doesn't have and LFO.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

stecykmi

cool effect, does it use the VCA as a voltage controlled resistor to create a filter sweep? or does it use the VCA to generate a control voltage for a vactrol or something?

the ssm series is itself very interesting, some very cool DIY potential with some of the chips.

micromegas

Quote from: stecykmi on March 01, 2015, 12:27:06 AM
cool effect, does it use the VCA as a voltage controlled resistor to create a filter sweep? or does it use the VCA to generate a control voltage for a vactrol or something?

the ssm series is itself very interesting, some very cool DIY potential with some of the chips.
no vactrols, so I guess it is used as a controlled resistor (there are 4 VCAs in the SSM2164).

I've found the guts for the older version:
Not sure how the new one works but maybe there's a digital LFO there (similar to ElectricDruid's one)?

juansolo

I used to have the old one. It's a belting effect. The Maestro Filter S&H does a little bit of what the Prometheus can do. The Subdecay takes it all to the next level though.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

culturejam

I don't recall seeing ANY project from the DIY world that uses VCAs. It would be a heck of an edge if somebody whipped up a VCA-based phaser or filter. ;)

I think I drew up an ugly VCA phaser a long time ago. I'll see if I can find it.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Govmnt_Lacky

There is the Cram It Compressor that uses the SSM2216 VCA.

culturejam

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 01, 2015, 03:45:21 PM
There is the Cram It Compressor that uses the SSM2216 VCA.

True, but that chip is designed specifically to be used as a compressor. I was thinking more of a generic multi-VCA chip, like the 2164. Compare the functional diagrams of those two and you'll see what I mean.

It would be cool to have a couple of projects ready to go that use the 2164, so that it could be a chip that people keep a few of on hand and can be used for multiple things. Specialized ICs are usually expensive, and, by their very nature, limited in scope and functionality.

Empress and Subdecay make VCA phasers. I used to own the smaller Quasar. It was somewhere between a FET phaser and wah-filter sound. Not a classic phase sound, but funky-cool in its own way. Something in that ballpark would be awesome as a DIY PCB project. (I have pics of the Quasar, but I did not trace it)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

micromegas

There are no projects for guitar, but that VCA is widely used in synth stuff. (i.e: Mutable Instrument's 4-pole filter for Shruthi)

Don't know how available the 2164 is right now, but the guys at THAT audio have a 2 stage version that seems to be a good alternative: http://www.thatcorp.com/THAT_Alternatives_to_SSM2164.shtml

micromegas

I just found this:
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-43217.html
and this:
http://www.proaudiodesignforum.com/forum/php/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=368

Breadboard time! (when I have time to breadboard....)

Please, kill me. Too much time in front of the computer

RobA

The 2164 is obsolete completely I think. Cool Audio also makes a 2162. Given the Behringer synth rumors running around and now being teased constantly by Behringer themselves, it could be that we'll be seeing some more VCA stuff out of Cool Audio too.

Edit: I just checked Cool Audio's site and they list the V2164 also. So, maybe they are available from them.

http://www.coolaudio.com/docs/datasheet/COOLAUDIO_V2164MD_DATASHEET.pdf
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

micromegas

Quote from: RobA on March 01, 2015, 06:01:10 PM
The 2164 is obsolete completely I think. Cool Audio also makes a 2162. Given the Behringer synth rumors running around and now being teased constantly by Behringer themselves, it could be that we'll be seeing some more VCA stuff out of Cool Audio too.
Thatcorp makes the THAT2162 and also one-channel VCAs.

RobA

Small Bear has the Cool Audio V2164 in stock. It's a bit price at $3.95, although, that's not too bad for four of them in one package.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

micromegas

Quote from: RobA on March 01, 2015, 06:27:14 PM
Small Bear has the Cool Audio V2164 in stock. It's a bit price at $3.95, although, that's not too bad for four of them in one package.
Shipping to Europe is prohibitively expensive though. I think I'll ask THATCorp for some samples using my student credentials.

(BTW, new Keeley Compressors use THAT4320s....)