News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Canadians: $399 50s Tribute SG @ Future Shop

Started by culturejam, March 04, 2015, 09:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

I'll likely try some inexpensive Humbuckers-in-a-P90 type pickups in a while, but honestly I can't afford this guitar never mind replacement pickups.

I'm curious whether I'll wan't to replace the other hardware. I'm partial to good tuners, but the bridge will likely be fine with me.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

rumbletone

Quote from: jkokura on March 08, 2015, 12:55:43 AM
I'll likely try some inexpensive Humbuckers-in-a-P90 type pickups in a while, but honestly I can't afford this guitar never mind replacement pickups.

I'm curious whether I'll wan't to replace the other hardware. I'm partial to good tuners, but the bridge will likely be fine with me.

Jacob
The tuners seem very solid on mine. The pups are the only thing on the 'likely to change' list so far, and it's only due to the inherent noise - the tone itself is good. And I really like the satin finish.

timbo_93631

Quote from: jkokura on March 08, 2015, 12:55:43 AM

Jacob

Have you considered Mini Humbuckers in the P-90 style ring? 
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

jkokura

Got it today.

This seems like it's a real, american Gibson. I'm impressed by the quality. Needs a shine and a setup, but it's really an enjoyable guitar so far.

Haven't plugged it in. Gonna do more research on pickyps after I've plugged it into my rig and A/Bed it against my Strat and tele and PRS SE Soapbar.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

blearyeyes

Wow I'm jealous! Great deal.  Happy for you guys up north!

jkokura

So I got 20 minutes to do a good inspection of the guitar this morning. I still haven't plugged it in yet, but I took a closer look. Here are some notes:

- Neck Relief is perfect and the neck is straight. Impressed with the frets.
- Action is a little high on the bass strings, but perfect on the treble strings.
- Finish is very consistent, and there's no issues to be seen - interesting matte finish doesn't retain fingerprints easily
- The electronics are top notch. There's a little PCB in there, full size Gibson pots, and the connections/solder are all very good. Uses ceramic caps, but I guess I'm a snob about caps if I'm gonna complain about that.
- Real grovers with a nice action. One of them looks like it's installed a little crooked, but it might also be my mind looking for something not to like. It doesn't stay in tune super well, a little bending put it out, but that might be the strings, not the guitar itself.
- Super neck/headstock heavy! The body is very light, a little resonant, but the neck is pulling down a lot when you try and balance it. Haven't put a strap on it yet, so I'll see if it's better when I do.
- BEEFY neck. This big, thick neck is going to take some getting used to. I like slim/skinny D profiles generally, and this things like a big round bat. Not sure if I'll be able to live with it. It's bigger than my Epi Dot for sure, and I think that ones big.

Bottom line: Real Gibson quality for $399 plus tax. I'm a little stunned to be honest. It's not a Les Paul Custom, certainly a lower end model, but it's surprisingly good, and seems like it's been given the same good treatment at the factory as that Les Paul Custom would have received. This is MILES better than Epiphone, for maybe a few bucks less.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

raulduke

Glad to hear Gibson are at least keeping a few happy!

That's a lot of US made guitar for the moolah.

Willybomb

Quote- Super neck/headstock heavy! The body is very light, a little resonant, but the neck is pulling down a lot when you try and balance it. Haven't put a strap on it yet, so I'll see if it's better when I do.
IME that's an SG thing, they're all top heavy.

GrindCustoms

Picked up mine at the post office a bit earlier this evening (along some other uBer goodness!).

Unpacked the guitar and found that the fit and finish was really nice, that satin/matte sealer feels really nice to me, love the touch feel of it really pleases me for the neck, shape/size is also right into my range, not a bassball bat, not shredder, just meaty.

Neck needed a bit of love, took me around 20minutes to do the complete setup on the guitar, once the neck was set i just had to fine tune the intonation of the GString as i like it a bit flatter than what it should be, now dead on.

Have'nt tried plugged yet, but acoustic it sounds great, good sustain through out the neck. Does't feel like it was made on a friday afternoon. Fret job is very nice nothing to fix there.

Will post pics of the guts and what not of it, i like the pcb setup that gibson uses, clever thing.

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

GermanCdn

Mines sitting in a box at my office 600 miles away.  Glad i paid for express 1 day shipping.......
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: GermanCdn on March 18, 2015, 03:44:32 AM
Mines sitting in a box at my office 600 miles away.  Glad i paid for express 1 day shipping.......

I knew it was going to come in as i was out...

Just played it through the MarkIV, very nice sounding guitar, nice attack from the P100.... though i'm not a big connaisseur of the P90 type of pickups, can't wait to try the custom set that are now ordered (thanks to Juan for taking care of that while i'm out ;) )
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

juansolo

Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 18, 2015, 03:59:39 AM
Quote from: GermanCdn on March 18, 2015, 03:44:32 AM

I knew it was going to come in as i was out...

Just played it through the MarkIV, very nice sounding guitar, nice attack from the P100.... though i'm not a big connaisseur of the P90 type of pickups, can't wait to try the custom set that are now ordered (thanks to Juan for taking care of that while i'm out ;) )

Really interested to see how these turn out...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

selfdestroyer

I'm disappointing no one has posted a picture 5 pages in lol.

How am I supposed to stay angry with the fact that I am from the US and could not take advantage of this deal if there is no pictures being rubbed in my face?

On a serious note, I can't wait to see what everyone does to these. I would love some pickup choices and mod ideas for a project SG I have laying around with P90's.

Cody

pickdropper

I keep seeing references to P100s, but the specs say that these come with P90s.  I would assume based on Jacob's hum post that they are P90s as the P100s are noise canceling.  Can anybody confirm what's in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jkokura

It's weird, because the pickups seem to have 4 connectors coming into the control cavity. I'll put some more looking at it when I take the strings off eventually.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*