News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking Diode Test

Started by JakeFuzz, June 11, 2011, 05:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haberdasher

Quote from: JakeFuzz on August 09, 2011, 03:11:57 PM
Just swapped in some TLE2072's  :o. Best overdrive i've ever heard that isn't coming from an amp.

Also put a BB OPA2107 in my Timmy, amazing.

Oh sweet, you tried the TLE's.  I thought they sounded pretty good too.

I'm using BAT46 in the sunking right now.  I like them enough to where I doubt if I make a change anytime soon.  BAT41 sounded good too.  I tried mosfet and led's but came away kind of "meh".
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

JakeFuzz

Yeah the BAT46 do sound really good, in fact there isn't enough difference between them and the LM's to really justify that huge price differential. Those TLE amps are amazing, I wonder if Tayda or whoever would stock them if I asked because I would use those in place of the TL072 any day. I turn on my Sunking now and just can't believe that sound is coming out of a pedal.

aflynt

Which version of the TLE2072 are you using IP, CP, AIP, or ACP? Looks like IP means + 85 C Max. Temp., CP means + 70 C Max. Temp., A means 3.5 mV input offset and non-A is 6 mV input offset. Mouser has all 4 varieties in stock.

-Aaron

masterlk

Can you post a link from where you got them?

Quote from: JakeFuzz on August 10, 2011, 10:23:23 AM
Those TLE amps are amazing, I wonder if Tayda or whoever would stock them if I asked because I would use those in place of the TL072 any day. I turn on my Sunking now and just can't believe that sound is coming out of a pedal.

Haberdasher

Quote from: masterlk on August 10, 2011, 10:42:09 AM
Can you post a link from where you got them?

Quote from: JakeFuzz on August 10, 2011, 10:23:23 AM
Those TLE amps are amazing, I wonder if Tayda or whoever would stock them if I asked because I would use those in place of the TL072 any day. I turn on my Sunking now and just can't believe that sound is coming out of a pedal.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/TLE2072CP/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtCHixnSjNA6CumnoLUElGjlkuqVFJHOVU%3d

Quote from: aflynt on August 10, 2011, 10:39:44 AM
Which version of the TLE2072 are you using IP, CP, AIP, or ACP? Looks like IP means + 85 C Max. Temp., CP means + 70 C Max. Temp., A means 3.5 mV input offset and non-A is 6 mV input offset. Mouser has all 4 varieties in stock.

-Aaron

I'm using the CPs, can't speak for JakeFuzz

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

JakeFuzz

Yeah I am using the CP's as well.

aflynt

Thanks. Ordering some TC2072CPs and BAT46s right now. :)

-Aaron

masterlk

Thanks for the link Haberdasher!

jtn191

I just did a (far from conclusive) test on my own with 1N60s, LM313Hs, and asymm 1N60->LM313H using TL072 op amps, a F. Blues Jr and a strat w/ lace sensor golds.

IMO:
I liked the recorded sound through an SM57 of 1N60s the best--they maintained a certain robustness and roundness of the low and mid range; the LM313Hs had less distortion/gain sound at the same gain settings--and in my situation sounded a little more "brittle" and pedal OD-like. They did seem a little more "open" and transparent (who knows what that even means anymore  ???) sitting in the same room--the feeling I got while playing through them. The difference between asymm and 2x of the same kind wasn't very noticeable; I'd say any extra tubey-ness was due to a placebo-like effect. Anywho, I'll try some more diodes/LEDs and asymm configurations

btw, I touched the metal can of one of the LM313s with a sweaty finger and it made a short squeal then seemed like there was less gain. Maybe it was static?  :-\

Haberdasher

Quote from: aflynt on August 10, 2011, 11:25:46 AM
Thanks. Ordering some TC2072CPs and BAT46s right now. :)

-Aaron
Mone sounds pretty good with those components.  I hope you like it too.

Quote from: masterlk on August 10, 2011, 12:41:45 PM
Thanks for the link Haberdasher!
Anytime!

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

aflynt

Got the TC2072CPs and BAT46s in today. Popped them into my Sunking and... Holy freaking [INSERT DEITY OF CHOICE HERE]. The thing DOES sound incredible with those components!

-Aaron

Hirti

You guys make curious how these components sound.. guess I also have to order some of those. :D

Haberdasher

Quote from: Hirti on August 14, 2011, 09:43:05 AM
You guys make curious how these components sound.. guess I also have to order some of those. :D
Cool, let us know if you like it.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE: