News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Afterlife Attack and Release

Started by Tkrain42, March 08, 2015, 08:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tkrain42

I finally got my Afterlife up and running (I put it on the "WTF did I do wrong?" shelf for a month as it didn't seem to work at all, and noticed the other day that I had the Vactrol reversed... considering that I build circuit boards for a living, that was a pretty boneheaded move).
So, sounds great, but I'd love to get a little more control over the Attack and Release. 

It looks like I could put a 50k or 100k pot in series with R7 to make an adjustable sensitivity.. this should translate to an adjustable attack, but I'm at a loss as to how to make a pot setup work with C3 for the release... I don't think an RC filter is going to do the trick...
Know your schematic, know your build, verify your parts, then turn on your soldering iron...

madbean

The pot with R7 sounds right for attack. For C3, perhaps a 50 - 100k pot in series with the cap?

solderfumes

I used a 1M pot in series with C3 for the release control.  It diminishes the overall compression, but definitely lengthens the release.  As for the attack, on my build I reduced R6 and put a 1k pot in series with it (this was Jon Patton's idea, and it works pretty well).  Both of these mods are *highly* interactive with the sensitivity control, though.

jtn191

reviving this. could you put a few caps on a switch in the C3 spot for attack control?
or maybe R6 as a pot is a better idea