News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wiring a delay and reverb multifx

Started by pogart, March 11, 2015, 04:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pogart

I've been reading through the forum on wiring for a multi effect pedal build. Here is my stumbling block. I built a Moodring reverb and a 1776 multiplex (thanks again for the huge amount of help on that one mgwhit) and have them ready to go into the box. I wired the moodring for buffered wiring (as per mooring pdf wiring) and the multiplex with the standard wiring diagram from madbean.  Most wiring diagrams I have found are using the standard wiring diagram found here in madbean. Is it possible to still have the buffered wiring set up for the moodring and regular wiring for the multiplex and connect them together. I would like to be able to use them together as well as individually (delay and reverb together and delay only and reverb only). When I wired them up  the delay works but reverb does not. Reverb alone produces a high pitched wine. Although both LED's light up. Thanks for any help you can offer.

mgwhit

You should be able to connect a true-bypass Multiplex and a buffered bypass Moodring without any switching problems*.  Just connect the output wire from the Multiplex's 3PDT directly to the Input pad of the Moodring board, then connect the Output pad of the Moodring board to the tip lug of your output jack, and wire up the rest of your Moodring board like the buffered bypass diagram in the build doc.

Have you tested the Moodring in buffered bypass mode separate from the dual-effect setup?

You may want to upload photos of your wiring if you still have problems.  Good luck!

* There could be noise problems sharing two digital effects on the same power supply, but I don't have any real experience dealing with that.

mgwhit

Quote from: pogart on March 11, 2015, 04:01:00 PM
When I wired them up  the delay works but reverb does not. Reverb alone produces a high pitched wine.

If the Multiplex delay works while both effects are wired together, this suggests that you're connecting the Moodring board input and output pads correctly, and that the Moodring's buffer works, but you probably have a problem with the Moodring's 3PDT wiring.

pogart

Thanks Matt, I tested both effects separately and they worked great. When I wired them up together only the delay worked and the reverb was just a high pitch whine when engaged on it's own and with the delay.
I will disconnect the two pedals and start fresh with your suggestions.
*Noise problems as in white noise from pt2399 chips?

mgwhit

Quote from: pogart on March 11, 2015, 08:42:05 PM
*Noise problems as in white noise from pt2399 chips?

Like I said, I don't really know what I'm talking about.  I read a couple of things recently, including this thread about heterodyning (which seems to implicate charge pumps and BBD clocks more than PT2399s) and a web page about running more than one digital circuit off the same power supply (which I can't find anymore).  I'll look for it again later tonight.

pogart

Cool, Matt once again your input/advice pointed me in the right direction, it works : ) ..well sort of lol.  I have delay alone, delay and reverb together and with the dry kill on the reverb (some volume drop) but no reverb alone.  No clean sound in bypass mode  for both pedals at all. I am guessing somewhere my wiring with the reverb 3pdt switch is killing my clean sound when in bypass? Tough to get a good close up pic with my iphone of both boards and 3PDT switches but here are two images I hope help. I wasn't too psyched on the  tape speed switch on the delay so I removed it. I guess I should remove the H1F1 chip or does that matter?. Once it is all working properly I will board mount the pots.
POG

jimilee

The yellow wire is your out to whatever is next, I haven't completed followed the thread but shouldn't it be connected to lug 8 instead of 7? That would explain why you have no clean signal only effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mgwhit

Thanks for the photos.  I realized I had been looking at the Moodring 2015 build doc, but you are working on the 2014 board and there are some slight differences.

The output appears to be coming off of the wrong lug of your Multiplex 3PDT.  Output from the board is coming into the corner lug as it should, but it looks like you have the wire that would normally go to the output jack (but in your case should go to the Input pad on the Moodring board) connected to that same lug.  It needs to go by itself on the lug below that.

I think everything looks okay on the Moodring's 3PDT, but let's see what happens after you fix the Multiplex's 3PDT.

Edit:  Yep -- jimilee beat me to it.

pogart

YAY!! works like a charm. Each of these builds alone sound fantastic and together it's like making an ambient cloud in my house. Massive appreciation for your help and expertise again (I have a check list I keep handy now with all the information I have learnt from you guys). It's amazing what one little wire or part on the wrong spot can do. I do need to put a resistor on the LED for the Moodring though. It didn't pop when I tested it awhile back but it seems combined with the delay it does have a pop which turns into a crazy spooky (and yet cool) ghost scream. It would get old fast if that happens all the time though. I will post a finished pedal pic as soon as I get it boxed up.

jimilee

Congratulations, great feeling huh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pogart

Killer feeling and terribly addictive these things are :)

selfdestroyer

Can't wait to see this boxed up. Sounds like a great combination.

Cody