News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Big Cheese clone Oscillation

Started by billyblunt, March 13, 2015, 11:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyblunt

Hi guys, I've just built a Big Cheese clone using the feta complis schematic. I'm getting some heavy oscillation once the tone knob is more than 50%. Its worse if the tone pot on the guitar is maxed out, makes it unusable. I've checked & rechecked everything & nothing obvious is jumping out at me. Could it be simply poor placement?

midwayfair

1) Move around your off-board wires and see if that changes anything.
2) Make sure nothing's microphonic, especially if you used any ceramic caps. Tapping on the PCB with a chopstick works for me.
3) Audio probe and see where it's introduced.
4) Try putting a buffer in front -- if this helps I might have some other suggestions for the root of the problem.

billyblunt

Thanks for the suggestions, I shall give them all a try.

m-Kresol

Did you solve your problem yet?
Did you sub the 2n3904 for BC549C as suggested by lacesensor in our GB thread? If yes, did you turn them 180°? The pinout of the BC549C is the opposite of the 2n3904...
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

luks999

the big cheese already has a buffer at the beginning and at the end (to my knowledge)
im curious how your debugging goes on ;)

Morgan

I built one a few years back on the OLC pcb. I used shielded wires running from the jacks to the footswitch to squelch oscillation.
Moderator at BYOC, still sometimes futz around with Leila Vintage Electronics.

Old Blog...