News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

which JB Weld do you prefer for undoing drilling errors?

Started by dont-tase-me-bro, March 29, 2015, 02:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dont-tase-me-bro

do you use the putty, or the one with the two tubes that you mix?

my doppleganger foot switches looked perfect, evenly spaced, a work of art, drew an immaculate template.  and placed them directly on top of the output jack.
I thought this would save me money.

catfud

I use the putty, which works well. I've not used the two tubes though, so can't say whether that'd be better or worse for patching up drilling errors.

dont-tase-me-bro

I think I'm going to go with the putty.  It seems like it will be a lot easier - just throw a blob in the hole.

Thanks,
Pat

davent

Are you wanting to patch and redrill for the switches or the jacks?  For the jacks you can get low profile, black nylon plugs that just pop in and fill the holes attractively.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

JohnL

The two part works really well. I have used it a bunch of times, it sands well and holds up great. You are supposed to be able to drill it but I have not done so.

dont-tase-me-bro

I have to patch and re drill for the footswitches.  i had them spaced perfectly, with the exception of putting one right on top of a jack

dont-tase-me-bro

this one goes in the dumb mistake hall of fame. 

this was my first time measuring out a drill template - i measured the flanges, spacing, everything.  everything except other parts already being installed there.  d'oh x100

going forward, i am measuring with metric.  all the inches and fractions were annoying

bela1961

Use the two part. Put a piece of tape or use the tape to place a piece of cardboard on the inside of the box to cover the offending hole. On the top side fill the hole with the mixed glue and leave a bit of a mound (it settles and fills in) when cured , 12 hrs, you can file, sand the glued spot flat. I use a flat board with some sandpaper on top and rub the box against it. Belt or disc sanders work well also.  You can drill this stuff as well.

davent

I'd be afraid to try to drill a hole that overlaps both materials, maybe if clamped securely to the drillpress table...
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

flanagan0718

Here is how i've done it before.

http://custohmelectronics.blogspot.com/2014/09/how-i-fill-miss-drilled-hole.html

Just beware that using the 2 part might require a second layer. It might also require an extra layer of paint.

dont-tase-me-bro

Thanks for the input everyone.  I am going to Home Depot today