News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any good 'bean projects for bass?

Started by Rich_S, June 19, 2010, 06:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich_S

My 13-year old just graduated today... from a short-scale SX Jazz Bass to a really nice Squier Classic Vibe Precision.  Got a smokin' deal on it at the local music store - no need to resort to Musician's Fiend or GC.

Anyway, I've been grabbing pedals for him when I see a good deal - so far he has an DOD envelope filter that I got in a trade and a Loco Box (funky, obscure line, do a web search) phaser that's really cool and cost only $19 (it's a restoration project-in-progress).

I know he'd like a dirt box - among other things, he's into the same modern metal and most 13-year-olds.  What Madbean projects would work well for bass, either in their standard form of with some tweaks to optimize them for the low register?  Something Big Muff Pi-ish perhaps?  Hit me up with some ideas - kid's getting to be a pretty good bass player, and I want to keep his interest up.
I am using you; am I amusing you? - Martha Johnson

irmcdermott

If you want to give him a pretty wicked bass fuzz, you should try out the Sabertooth. Nothing quite like building a $350 pedal for like $25, give or take. It was my very first build, and it still sits on my bass rig, which gets a crap ton more use then my guitar rig these days.

irmcdermott

Also, just want to give you props for supporting local music stores  :)

CapnCrunch

Take a look at the Faultline.  There is a link to the Catalinbread website on the projects page.  Faultline=Catalinbread SFT.  If you click on the link, there are several youtube videos of the SFT used as bass Overdrive, and also for guitar.  From the sound of it in the vids, it gets pretty heavy, and also does some cool Stones sounds with the guitar.

I don't have this pedal, and I haven't built it, but it sounds pretty cool.

irmcdermott

The Faultljne would e good too. I just etched a board for that yesterday and am plannig to build it since it looks and sounds so versatile and I can throw it on either pedal board.

Rich_S

Quote from: irmcdermott on June 19, 2010, 06:42:17 PM
Also, just want to give you props for supporting local music stores  :)

It was my pleasure.  We only have one local store, it's been a foundation of the community for years (since my wife was a kid).  I've often thought about what I'd do if I found a big disrcepancy between the local price and MF, but so far I haven't had to make the choice.  My son WAS window-shopping MF online, but then found this bass, so we bought it.  I think it was marked down because it has a little tiny ding in the peghead, but I'm not complaining.  We got to try-before-buy, we both love the bass, and we got a great deal.  He'll put a lot worse ding in the peghead first time he turns around into the drum set with it.  SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MUSIC STORE!!!

Quote from: irmcdermott on June 19, 2010, 06:41:32 PM
... my bass rig, which gets a crap ton more use then my guitar rig these days.

I hear ya, bro.  I was ecstatic when my kid told me he wanted to play the bass.  Take it from a guitar player, the last thing this world needs is another guitar player.

BTW, keep those pedal suggestions coming, and I'll point Drew in the direction of the on-line demos mentioned.

madbean

Rich_S

Looks nice, and ya gotta believe Bootsy, but Drew already has an envelope filter.  I traded a Recto Mod DS-1 for this DOD envelope filter, and let him use it.  It's reputedly the same one Flea uses, but who knows?

lincolnic

I second the Sabertooth. You can destroy cities with that thing!

Rich_S

Man... I like the Faultline (SFT) demos and think the "doomy" example is about as dirty as Jr will ever need to get.

But somehow, I think he'll like the Sabertooth.

I guess we apply the usual MadBEan project-selection methodology: BUY BOTH!  ;D

droptrd

I just finished the Faultline.      Its the best bass OD ive ever heard.      It has very little compression for an OD.      So the bass guitar doesnt drop out of the mix when you kick it on.      Its also pretty cool for guitar.      Very unique sounding.