News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

inkjet decal nightmare

Started by add4, April 06, 2015, 02:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

add4

Dear all

I've been using inkjet decals without problems a fw years ago, then i stopped building for family reasons (got 2 babies)

Now i'm back to building and i seem to have problems everytime i use a decal.

when it's still wet, it's ok, but as it dries i get a lot of reflections, like large air bubbles, but not high enough to be pierced.

I just print the decal (new decal just bought from musikding), varnish it (3 layers of spray car varnish), then put the decal in water mixed with soap used for washing the dishes (i remember it's useful for ... ?? ) (could it be the reason for this problem?) and apply it.

Does anyone have an idea of what's happening? it's really really really bugging me big time..

Thanks

m-Kresol

I actually don't know what is causing it, but how does it look if you apply clear coat over the applied decal? Have you tried using epoxy like Envirotex? that usually adds some bling-bling to all kinds of surfaces ;)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

add4

tried it, it just fixes the 'bubbles' into something horrible ..
thanks for your idea anyway :)

pryde

maybe to much soap in the mix or the type of soap being used?

I never used any soap with my decals, just plain old water and never have any issues so maybe the soap is the culprit?

If not the only other thing I can think of is the enclosure paint is out-gassing?

jimilee

I don't use soap at all with mine. I soak the enclosure and decal in the same temp water. I have had issues like yours with certain colors of paint such as glossy red and clear decals. Try a hair dryer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

BrianS

I had several do the same thing. What Jimilee said might well be true, ie, my red one did it but so did a yellow and white one with clear decals.  I have had no problems with the white decals. I put a very small drop of dishwashing liquid in my warm water, wash the box with dishwashing soap, rinse it, leave it wet, take a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and wipe over the top, then put the decal on. Never had the bubbles again after doing this. If you try this do a practice run first. Also, one of the site members (Peak) suggested using one of those cheap black sponge paint brushes to get the decal down instead of a napkin, etc.... I works really good. If you figure out what is doing it I would really like to know. 

add4

Quote from: jimilee on April 06, 2015, 05:26:51 PM
I don't use soap at all with mine. I soak the enclosure and decal in the same temp water. I have had issues like yours with certain colors of paint such as glossy red and clear decals. Try a hair dryer.

thanks for your process, so you use the hair dryer to accelerate decal drying, i'll try that.

things i thought about /tried
- old decals -> less efficient glue -> bought brand new decals from 2 different sources
- too hot water -> temp water now
- moved the decal too much -> tried to move it much less, but i used to move it a lot before these problems started so i don't think it's that

things to try:
- hair dryer
- no soap

i believe it might be due to the paint on these enclosures too, but these are pedalpartsplus painted boxes so i think that if i have problems, everyone would have them too ...

thanks for your help anyway guys, this forum is great

jimilee

A hair dryer will increase dry time but also remove wrinkles and some times air bubbles that usually are pockets of water.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

Maybe one of the decal setting/softening solutions would help, the ones i have smell like vinegar/acetic acid.

Bit of info in this old thread.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=83087.0;prev_next=next
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

Naaa, little room temp water and patience. You'll be just fine. You're all over thinking it.

wgc

you might have too thick a clear coat on your decal before soaking?

Meaning, it can't "shrink" or "conform" to the surface the way it would if the coating was more flexible. 

3 coats is a lot, I'd do one or two light dusting coats to keep the ink from smearing.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

add4

i'll try with one coat and no soap this evening

i'll keep you posted
thanks for your help folks

jimilee

Quote from: add4 on April 07, 2015, 12:33:12 PM
i'll try with one coat and no soap this evening

i'll keep you posted
thanks for your help folks
I do 2 on mine. I don't think 1 will be enough.

add4

Indeed 1 wasn't enough :D ...
lost the ink while i was trying to manipulate the decal on the pedal.
the good news is that the decal definitely felt different under my fingers so i guess i put too much clear coat before ...
i'll try again very soon :)

jimilee

Nice