News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Jon's rant of the day - warm AND bright! At the same time!!! Eleventy!

Started by midwayfair, April 09, 2015, 05:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Spotted on TGP today:

Quotebut I've been looking to get a really warm and bright overdrive to add to my board

On DIYSB the other day (different person):

QuoteI meant something clear, warm and bright

When I told the DIYSB guy that he was, to the best of my knowledge, asking for a circuit to do two polar opposites at the same time (he also wanted a "completely clean" tube preamp circuit that adds harmonics and sustain ... but isn't a compressor and didn't EQ the signal), he said:

Quoteyes, you can have warm and bright sound. The equilibrium point between these two is a matter of aesthetics.

Anyway, no offence, any musician in here understands what I mean and looking for.

So since I'm clearly not a musician because I can't frigging understand this, what the hell definition of "warm" are people using that encompasses "bright"?

TNblueshawk

Jon, you are arguing with a 3 year old. You can't win!

Or in the case of my 15 year old nephew...apparently he knows everything including life in general  :o
John

timbo_93631

Jon, he means that you need to have a clear glass 150 watt incandescent lamp instead of a LED indicator, then the pedal will be "warm, and bright, and clear".  Sheesh, any musician knows that....
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

midwayfair

I think I'm unusually on edge about sonic adjectives at the moment because I've been researching microphones. Every mic is "completely natural" but "adds" character, warthm, and everything else you can imagine. Sheesh. Even the people who I KNOW FOR A FACT make or mod great microphones (Michael Joly comes to mind) are steeped in more marketing BS than a dozen Mike Fullers.

The Good Guys post frequency response graphs and polar patterns. <3

Cortexturizer

hahaha all of this made me laugh, Jon thank you for this, fantastic.
I've had a friend ask me to make him a fuzz that does exactly that and I declined saying that such a circuit cannot be made :D "incredible balls and low end, awesome mids, and a string to string separation of a light overdrive pedal and that it cleans up with a volume knob"
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on April 09, 2015, 06:05:55 AM
I think I'm unusually on edge about sonic adjectives at the moment because I've been researching microphones. Every mic is "completely natural" but "adds" character, warthm, and everything else you can imagine. Sheesh. Even the people who I KNOW FOR A FACT make or mod great microphones (Michael Joly comes to mind) are steeped in more marketing BS than a dozen Mike Fullers.

The Good Guys post frequency response graphs and polar patterns. <3

You see this in high-fidelity audio design all the time.  Some folks want something that is accurate but with a bit more bass, a bit less treble, etc...

Fidelity = accurate.  It's OK to have preferences different than accurate, but adding or subtracting frequencies inherently makes it less accurate.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GermanCdn

Please tell me your signature line on DIYSB is the same as the one here, cause that makes the "musician" comment that much more ridiculous (Hi, my name's Jon, here are five proprietary circuits I've designed which are currently being marketed, and here's a link to the music I create on a far more regular basis than 92% of all "musicians" out there).

The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Jabulani Jonny

This is why I don't frequent any other forum other than this one and, every now and then, BYOC. 
Jonathan

Leevibe

I think I remember the word "warm" being banned as an audio descriptor from recording review back when I was lurking there because it means something different to everyone who uses it. People can't even agree about what "warm" means when talking about temperature!

You should tell the dude that, as a musician, you don't want to hear his "music."

irmcdermott

I thank the good Lord every day for this forum, and that no one here has taken a drink of the Kool-Aid.

Also.... what do you recommend for the cleanest fuzz out there? Only real musician's reply please.

Martan

Guy needs one of these to finally have the pedal that really understands him.

The mind-control, I mean. Not the shirt.

drolo

Quote from: irmcdermott on April 09, 2015, 07:58:49 AM
I thank the good Lord every day for this forum, and that no one here has taken a drink of the Kool-Aid.

Also.... what do you recommend for the cleanest fuzz out there? Only real musician's reply please.

I have had very good results with this Fuzz Face mod:

Cleans up marvelously, ballsy, yet, dare I say, transparent.

Leevibe

Quote from: drolo on April 09, 2015, 08:15:14 AM

Haha! Well played.

midwayfair

Snicker.

I was going to post a fuzz on 4/1 that I called "total sonic destruction" that was a mix of two summed 180-degree out-of-phase signals.

billstein

I hope this is verified because I just sent it off to Oshpark. I couldn't get it under 4 layers and 12 vias but whatever.
If I'm reading this right, I believe it will be totally transparent while completely changing the tone.
I'll have a couple boards left over if anybody is interested. Maybe even do a group buy!