News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Magnavibe and Cardinal

Started by 29palms, April 13, 2015, 11:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

29palms

Hi all,

here's a couple of tremolos, first up Mark's Magnavibe layout from Tagboard effects.

I still haven't got the artwork technique down yet so I had to touch up with a sharpie, which then smudged with the varnish...

The wiring's slightly neater than my last effort and I was pleased the hand rolled vactrol worked, especially as it smoked a bit when I heat shrank it :o

Although it sounds nice, a subtle wobble, I wasn't that happy with the depth of this so I decided to build a Cardinal tremolo.

I needed to get this done for a rehearsal so I just glued an inkjet print onto the box and varnished it. Is there a problem with doing this? No-one else seems to do it that way? Anyway I guess Chinese new year had an influence.

The wiring's a  real mess — in a fit of temporary insanity I  attempted to get this into a 1590A — way out of my league at the moment! When I realised it was never going to happen I had to revise the plan. I didn't want to desolder the wires from the board, having already lifted a pad after soldering the wave pot incorrectly, so it's joined up wires and heat shrink all round...

Anyway it sounds amazing and you can get so many different sounds out of it. I really recommend this to any trem fans out there who haven't built one yet and big thanks to Jon for designing this thing!
ta
George

m-Kresol

i really like the artwork on your magmatone. wouldn't have noticed the sharpie if you hadn't told us.

Quote from: 29palms
in a fit of temporary insanity I  attempted to get this into a 1590A

you would have to cut the pcb in half to do that. And even then it would be close with 4 pots ;)

One small note: I would add the jumper wire between the effect input lug on the 3PDT switch and the lug benath the grounded one. This way your input gets grounded when the effect is disengaged, which is prefered by most.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Luke51411

I like the graphics, they both look great!

29palms

Quote from: m-Kresol on April 13, 2015, 12:38:35 PM
i really like the artwork on your magmatone. wouldn't have noticed the sharpie if you hadn't told us.

Thanks Felix, this is my second (barring some disasters) attempt at acrylic medium toner transfer and I guess I've seen some of the really professional finishes other people are getting and I would like to be able to achieve those results. I'm going to try a new method on my next one.

you would have to cut the pcb in half to do that. And even then it would be close with 4 pots ;)

ah, I think I should have said 1590B!

One small note: I would add the jumper wire between the effect input lug on the 3PDT switch and the lug benath the grounded one. This way your input gets grounded when the effect is disengaged, which is prefered by most.

Yeah I've seen some guys do that, I didn't know why, thanks for the tip.

Quote from: Luke51411 on April 13, 2015, 12:40:46 PM
I like the graphics, they both look great!

Thanks Luke, I'm not 100% happy with the Cardinal,might change it at some point.

TGP39

The cardinal looks really good and I'm sure the wiring would be much better if you had more time. Desoldering is not my strong point either. :)

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

luks999

cool lookin builds  8)
two questions:
which foil do you use for transferring? im still looking for a good white foil
and what font is that on the magna?

Guybrush

Both look great. I'd be more than happy.

Cortexturizer

https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

midwayfair

Cool art choices ... I like dragons :)

Coda-effects

The magma tone has a really cool 80s / 90s look, I love it !

29palms

Quote from: TGP39 on April 13, 2015, 09:40:48 PM
The cardinal looks really good and I'm sure the wiring would be much better if you had more time. Desoldering is not my strong point either. :)

Steve.

thanks Steve, I keep telling myself to take more time but this thing sounds so good I just wanted to box it and play with it.

Quote from: luks999 on April 14, 2015, 11:46:59 PM
cool lookin builds  8)
two questions:
which foil do you use for transferring? im still looking for a good white foil
and what font is that on the magna?

thanks Luks,
I laser print the artwork (reversed) on normal paper. Then I brush the pedal with acrylic gel medium and press the print, ink side down, on the pedal and burnish it. leave it to dry, then soak in warm water and rub the paper off. The toner is left behind but I haven't managed a perfect transfer yet. It might be a patience thing (see earlier comments on wiring ;). I'm experimenting with another method at the  moment so I'll post if it works better...

the font for depth and rate is this— http://www.dafont.com/moan-lisa.font

the 'MagmaTone' lettering I drew my self in Illustrator.

Thanks Cortexturizer, I hope I can build something as professional looking as you one of these days!

Guybrush, thanks mate, really liked your Mosquete build, where did you get the transparent  label?

Thanks Jon, I like those Chinese dragon images but I'd like to make my own graphics for the Cardinal next time (just bought another board). I like the way you do your artwork, you can always  recognize it as Midway Fair!

Thanks Coda, I thought your black dog fuzz art was really cool.