News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PCB Mount Toggle Switches

Started by raulduke, April 14, 2015, 02:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

Being in the EU/UK it's difficult to get the new PCB mount toggle switches.

My request would be to stick to the standard solder lug type toggle switches if possible (as previously used), which are easily available from all over the place.

Ordering from SmallBear works out very expensive when shipping, import tax etc. is included, and there aren't many easily found alternatives available (especially for esoteric parts like the DPDT On/On/On toggles used).

alanp

That's part of why the Dirtbaby hasn't been populated, yet. And the Optodist.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

micromegas

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

raulduke

Yep just ordered from them.

They have a terrible track record for slow shipping, and also shipping incorrect parts (in my experience anyway).

Doesn't help the dudes in Oceania either  ;)

madbean

Sure thing. Going forward I can make sure new projects use the solder lug type for board mounted switches. As older projects get re-ordered I should be able to do the same thing.

raulduke

Quote from: madbean on April 14, 2015, 04:17:53 AM
Sure thing. Going forward I can make sure new projects use the solder lug type for board mounted switches. As older projects get re-ordered I should be able to do the same thing.

Brilliant  8)

Thanks for that Brian. It will also make keeping stock/inventory of parts much easier for US dudes too.

davent

Could a solder lug be trimmed down to fit the pcb hole allowing you to use the lugged switches?
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Tremster

Quote from: davent on April 14, 2015, 08:12:22 AM
Could a solder lug be trimmed down to fit the pcb hole allowing to use the lugged switches?
I did that with my Flabulanche and Danger Zone, cut away half a solder lug on each hole. But they hardly reach through the hole, it's not very elegant.

wgc

Quote from: davent on April 14, 2015, 08:12:22 AM
Could a solder lug be trimmed down to fit the pcb hole allowing to use the lugged switches?

I've done this. The trick is to split it in the center of the top of the lug, then trim only half of the lug away at the bottom of the lug.

Oversizing the mounting hole helps avoid alignment issues since you'll be about .75mm off center in one direction.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

peterc

RD

Have you tried RS and farnell? They have huge ranges eaturing these types.

Something like this:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/toggle-switches/7347090/

Peter

Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

raulduke

Quote from: peterc on April 14, 2015, 12:31:26 PM
RD

Have you tried RS and farnell? They have huge ranges eaturing these types.

Something like this:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/toggle-switches/7347090/

Peter

I looked on farnell but hadn't looked on rs... That's a good price too.

Thanks for the link.