News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Resistor Values for LED's

Started by billstein, April 24, 2015, 06:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Hi all. Just a quick question. What resistor values do you use for Led's.
1. For diffused?
2. For waterclear?

Thank you

cooder

I use 10K for water clear high brightness LEDs. Works good for me.
BigNoise Amplification

alanp

For 9V? 4K7 for normal.

Swearing for different.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

cooder

Quote from: alanp on April 24, 2015, 08:24:52 AM
For 9V? 4K7 for normal.

Swearing for different.
Well 10 K is  a little less bright than 4k7 but still enough to light up my music room when my board is powered up.... just not too retina scorching.
BigNoise Amplification

Mich P

Diffused      :     1 to 4.7K
Waterclear  :  15 to 100K
Mich P.

HKimball

Wow that explains a lot - I just use 4.7k for everything haha. Makes sense now why my white LEDs on my 18v pedals are like staring into the sun

muddyfox

yeah I'm with Mich. All over the place, depending on the application.

jimilee

Quote from: cooder on April 24, 2015, 07:54:56 AM
I use 10K for water clear high brightness LEDs. Works good for me.
Great to know! I've never even thought about it, just complained to myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

I have a lot of random LED's (sorted by colour) from many different suppliers, diffused/clear, three sizes etc., i check each one before installing to get the appropriate clr and that has ranged from ~500r to 47k. Have a box with 24 steps  from 500r to 18k to test for a clr value.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

billstein

Quote from: davent on April 24, 2015, 03:52:27 PM
I have a lot of random LED's (sorted by colour) from many different suppliers, diffused/clear, three sizes etc., i check each one before installing to get the appropriate clr and that has ranged from ~500r to 47k. Have a box with 24 steps  from 500r to 18k to test for a clr value.

That's a great idea.
Is that resistor on the left a safeguard so you don't apply to much voltage and burn out the LED?
Is that a 1x12 rotary switch?

pickdropper

Usually between 1k and 5k for diffused and between 15k and 20k for ultraclear.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

Quote from: billstein on April 24, 2015, 04:12:35 PM

That's a great idea.
Is that resistor on the left a safeguard so you don't apply to much voltage and burn out the LED?

That's just a 10k that gets added in series with other 12 resisitors  so you get the next 12 higher steps.

Have an amp with  a bicolour led that needed a quite different clr for each colour to achieve equal levels of brightness, there is no one size fits all.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

billstein

Thanks guys.

I always use 4k7 for diffused but tried a waterclear blue with 4k7 and now I think I need to replace the retina in my eye! :)
So, just wanted to know if there was a consensus out there for the high brightness LED's. I'm hearing anywhere from 10K all the way to 100K.
I might have to build a tester like davent.

guile

Quote from: billstein on April 24, 2015, 04:12:35 PM

That's a great idea.

Completely OT: wheredid you find that LED-tester? Would love to have one

davent

Just a bunch of random bits gathering dust thrown together into something useful. Idea was put forward by Mark Hammer over at diysb.
dave