News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedalboard Build

Started by StevieM17, May 05, 2015, 05:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevieM17

Hey guys, a while back i started a thread with a pedalboard tutorial but of course right when I put it up the website went down.. but with some help from BrianS I went ahead and tried my hand at making one. I didn't want a huge board, so this one ended up very nice for me

I started with some 3/4'' planks and measured out just how big I wanted it to be. Mine is about 12x18. The top piece is 1/2'' plywood. I first dovetailed each side then cut them at an angle. Also Drilled two holes on the side for in/out and then a rectangle-ish hole to fit the power IEC.

I routed out a section as you can see to give it a lot more support, that way I don't have to screw anything it just fits in naturally with the dovetail. Its tough to get it right without tearing through it, I messed up a board that way :'(
The dip that it makes will be compensated with the carpet or velcro. Also rounded over the top and sides with the router, opted out of routing the bottom I like it a little better that way. The 4 top strips were an inch i think, and that was also done with the router.

I used gunstock stain with three coats of semi-gloss, I loooved how it turned out but i think next time i'll go for something darker. or maybe even try covering it with leather or some material.

The carpet i used was basically speaker cabinet stuff, so I wont use that stuff again but it worked for what i was doing.

I fit my compressor, buffer and power supply snug under the board by making those brackets, saves me a ton more space on the top. I could've tried a little harder to separate the power cables from the audio cables but I told myself I wasn't gunna get all crazy with that. but nothing dangles so im good with that. I used Gls pancake adapters for when i ran out of the soldered lava cables up top. The Lavas were a pain in the butt to make but they are extremely quiet and sound great. Heres the finished stuff:

The hall of fame is coming off as soon as I fix my moodring build  ;D and i'm looking to replace the dd20 with a strymon soon.
This is a pretty easy project if you have a router and some other tools, definitely encourage you to try it! Of course, if you have any questions ill help you out the best I can, I didn't go into extreme detail with this but ill help. I also have an extra frame and board laying around from the scap from this one if anyone wants one close to like mine, its a cheap build so it'd be a very cheap buy. ;D Thanks for reading!

nzCdog

man... this rips!  great build man, way cooler than my diy pedalboard effort 8)

TGP39

I love working with wood. I wish I had a router and a dove tail jig. This looks spectacular and is better than just about anything you'll find in a store. Great job and thanks for posting.

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

StevieM17

Thanks for the kind words guys!

jimilee

Daaamn that's  great! Does the top just lift right off it you want to say, try another compressor or 10?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jubal81

That is some gorgeous work. I'd buy one.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

gordo

Wow! Is it a pedalboard or heirloom grade furniture? Very nicely done.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

PhiloB

Awesome job!!  Top notch really.

StevieM17

Quote from: jimilee on May 05, 2015, 07:08:56 PM
Daaamn that's  great! Does the top just lift right off it you want to say, try another compressor or 10?

Thanks guys! and jimilee the top is in there for good, I glued the corners up as well but I can unscrew the mount to put in any 1590b size enclosure. A removable top is a good idea though! 8)

cooder

Awesome work, looks great! Well done, tidy, sweet, stylish! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

playpunk

Well this is awesome! I want to build my own

"my legend grows" - playpunk

Cortexturizer

really handsome pedalboard you've got there dude. LOVE IT. classy, and the choice of pedals is also very very good. love it
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

jprizz

That is really cool! I like the in & out jacks (and power) on the sides. I'm going to steal that when I build my bigger board.  ;D
-Josh

BrianS

Stevie that came out great. I like the dovetails. Did you make templates of your side boards? If not, before you separate yourself from the other boards you have get some mdf and make a pattern. If you ever want a bigger board just extend the length of it. That will save you a lot of time an effort. You have more woodworking skills than you led on too. Great job.

Brian

selfdestroyer

Great work, DIY at its finest right there.

Cody