News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I got this OverDirve pedal kit off of Ebay...

Started by VanDerchuck, May 11, 2015, 01:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanDerchuck

I'm not kidding at all. That says OverDirve. I have a sense of humor so it's worth $20.00 to me.

I need to know what it's supposed to be. I can put any OD or Distortion in it I want. But part of me wants to know if it's a pile of parts that don't work or if the crappy PCB actually works. This is the schematic in the ebay description.

If this looks familiar it's because it is the Boss OD3 schem.

But the BOM doesn't match the schem. No big surprise there. Here is the full description.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=111644879772&category=41416&pm=1&ds=0&t=1431347806554

Here is the item.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/121647413914?nav=SEARCH

There's also an equally odd Distortion and a Delay.
Anyone have any guesses?
My $.02 is worth exactly that...

Luke51411

I've seen these before... They seem to just copy and paste from tonepad

Haberdasher

It might have made some kind of weird sense if the Drive pot had been labeled Dirve, right?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Muadzin

Well, you could do a lot worse then the OD-3. One of the better sounding current Boss pedals IMHO.

VanDerchuck

I could do way worse than the od3. You're right. That's for sure. But I don't recognize the BOM either. One PNP,  one jrc4558, and four FETS. Sounds more like a phaser than an OverDirve.

Edit: My phone is now autocrorecting OverDirve.

peAk

Totally off topic but I like your Neil Blender avatar!!

oldhousescott

With true bypass, you wouldn't need Q9 and Q4, the FET switching. Q8 (or Q10) would then be redundant and could be eliminated. Also, everything after the volume wiper could go, too. Then you're left with 4 FETs, 1 BJT, and one dual op-amp. So, yeah, it could be a simplified OD3.

GermanCdn

Quote from: Haberdasher on May 11, 2015, 03:32:25 PM
It might have made some kind of weird sense if the Drive pot had been labeled Dirve, right?

This^ ;D

But in all seriousness, if the enclosures a decent quality, it's a pretty good deal.  But throw away the jacks (you probably already have).  They are complete trash, made the mistake of ordering them once from musikding.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

lars

Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

blearyeyes

Well there's a typo on the schematic.. it says Drive. Sheesh...

VanDerchuck

Quote from: oldhousescott on May 11, 2015, 08:48:06 PM
With true bypass, you wouldn't need Q9 and Q4, the FET switching. Q8 (or Q10) would then be redundant and could be eliminated. Also, everything after the volume wiper could go, too. Then you're left with 4 FETs, 1 BJT, and one dual op-amp. So, yeah, it could be a simplified OD3.

Thanks, I didn't think of that. It doesn't make sens when looking at the BOM and the schematic together. The pcb has a spot for the foot switch that doesn't match the one in the kit. From first glance it looks like it looks like it's not true bypass.

chromesphere

$20! Seriously! I might order one for the enclosure.  Because, you know, being chinese, im not sure i would trust anything else that comes in the kit.

Be interested to know what you think of the finished product vanderchuck.

Edit: oh...optical illusion. That enclosures not drilled hah...
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Haberdasher

Quote from: chromesphere on May 12, 2015, 11:21:14 AM
$20! Seriously! I might order one for the enclosure.  Because, you know, being chinese, im not sure i would trust anything else that comes in the kit.

That's odd, you don't look Chinese on your youtube videos.  :P
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

VanDerchuck

Be interested to know what you think of the finished product vanderchuck.

Edit: oh...optical illusion. That enclosures not drilled hah...

It's totally drilled out. I'm actually not going to build it as is. It's going to be for a friend and it might end up in the style of the OCD or Bluesbreaker. I really just wanted the enclosure.

chromesphere

Quote from: Haberdasher on May 12, 2015, 02:05:50 PM

That's odd, you don't look Chinese on your youtube videos.  :P

Youtube is the sweatshop of the media world ;-)
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube