News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

harbinger one built. as just a phaser?

Started by Strassercaster, May 12, 2015, 05:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strassercaster

looking at the harbinger one schematic you have the 4 different cap sizes to give it its warble. i love this build. I was wondering if i could build it into a phaser? if so the four caps c7-15n c10-220n c14-470pf and c17-4n7 are what give it its univibe characteistics correct? i would need to match all four off theses? or just the first three ? i guess if i did the first three and kept the fourth in the vibrato section different i could have a little flexibiliy via the switch correct?

this just sounds so good as a univibe i am wondering if we reveresed modded it the way they fo the phase 90 to be univibe how it would sound. What value would be best to try first ect.  just a thought.i love the harbinger one as it is and im not modding mine but if i build another it could be worth it . anyone tried thsi little experiment yet?

Luke51411

I would socket and audition caps. If you like it enough you could add a switch to switch between two sets of caps.

Strassercaster

thanks luke . I checked out a phase 90 they use 50n caps for all four stages. Its just an idea im toying with at this point but could be fun and different

midwayfair

You can't just use the cap values straight from the Phase 90. You need to grab a calculator and figure out he cutoff frequencies produced by the caps in each circuit. The impedance of each stage between the two circuits is different.

Strassercaster

Quote from: midwayfair on May 12, 2015, 10:57:39 PM
You can't just use the cap values straight from the Phase 90. You need to grab a calculator and figure out he cutoff frequencies produced by the caps in each circuit. The impedance of each stage between the two circuits is different.
Thanks midway fair. I checked out the 1776 website very nice.i know what your saying but I have know idea where to start . I am on my 20th build in three months learning as I go. It's paint by numbers mostly . I did pinball repair and am decent at troubleshooting but design and engineering not at all. I have done several vero layouts from scratch simple stuff like range masters .there the tesla way and the Edison way unfortunately I'll have to do it the Edison way unless you want to throw me a bone ha ha. I really love the multiplex echo just listened to some you tube demos. You and Brian are light years ahead me I'm a noob with some skill tops.i am going to get another harbinger one board and socket the four caps and trial and error it I guess. I'll probably socket the accompanied resistors as well just in case . I'll build it right and the. Start swapping . This is the  most complex build I have done I have been doing germanium and op amp overdrive  mostly .thanks