News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Measuring Voltage for a Transistor to Bias

Started by Timko, May 13, 2015, 08:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

I just finished putting the components on my PCB for my Bear Hug Compressor, and there's sound coming out of the circuit, so it looks like I got everything soldered correctly!  However, I need to bias Q1 around 5-5.5V.  Now there's a test pad on the board (and I was wondering why I had a pad that had no component in it :) ), so I assume that I connect one of my probes from my multimeter to that. 

Where do I connect my other lead?  Do I need to have the power on, and a signal going through it to bias?

Here's the schematic is on page 3, and you can see the test pad there: http://1776effects.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Bear-Hug-V2-1.pdf

Thanks all!

Schectadon

black lead to ground, red to test pad, Multimeter set to vdc. turn trimpot until voltage it in the required range.
Formerly known as TwistdDeth

lincolnic

You do need power to the circuit, but you don't need to have any signal running through it.

Timko

I figured that I needed power last night when I did my readings and got nothing :).  Thanks!  I got the resistor biased correctly, so now it's time to drill and paint and enclosure for it.