News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Phaser experimentation, eliminate thump?

Started by Luke51411, May 17, 2015, 06:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

On kgull's krypton phaser I am experimenting. I started by making a daughter board for the vactrol but since doing that I'm getting a lot of thump. Image for reference:

Could I eliminate that problem by using shielded wire for the led wires? I want to maybe add a few switches on the ldr's to be able to use a different number of stages as it sounds cool with an ldr or 3 removed, I'm also thinking about adding manual control to the led for a fixed phase option or maybe controllable by a wah treadle

luks999

i have experience only with the univibe when it comes to optical phasers but arent they always thumby?
have you tried to dim the led?

alanp

With circuits with clock signals (or LFO), it's typically not a hugely good idea to get too fresh with the layout.

Do 'em right (Doppelganger 1.4 vs 2.1 layouts I did), and you'll get no ticking or thumping.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Luke51411

Ok cool. Well, at least I learned something.
Quote from: luks999 on May 18, 2015, 12:35:55 AM
i have experience only with the univibe when it comes to optical phasers but arent they always thumby?
It's not thumpy when the components are installed as intended.

Betty Wont

I'm sure its the spaghetti monster making most of the thump but also make sure you are testing the vactrol in the dark. I can make mine thump a little (super clean sounding in the dark) when the bench light is on it.

Luke51411

Quote from: Torgoslayer on May 18, 2015, 06:56:13 AM
I'm sure its the spaghetti monster making most of the thump but also make sure you are testing the vactrol in the dark. I can make mine thump a little (super clean sounding in the dark) when the bench light is on it.
Yeah the spaghetti monster/Vactrol spider is not happy!!! I'm just going to go back to being simple and installing the parts on the board. Thump aside, it did sound pretty cool when removing an stage or two, I might try to find another way to switch in and out phases.

Betty Wont

Quote from: Luke51411 on May 18, 2015, 07:16:01 AM
Yeah the spaghetti monster/Vactrol spider is not happy!!! I'm just going to go back to being simple and installing the parts on the board. Thump aside, it did sound pretty cool when removing an stage or two, I might try to find another way to switch in and out phases.
I would build one pcb stock and another with selected stages permanently removed and hook them up to a parallel blender board. Then you can go from stock on one end of the blend pot rotation, sans stages on the other and a bastard mono biphase in the middle.

Luke51411

Quote from: Torgoslayer on May 18, 2015, 07:31:38 AM
I would build one pcb stock and another with selected stages permanently removed and hook them up to a parallel blender board. Then you can go from stock on one end of the blend pot rotation, sans stages on the other and a bastard mono biphase in the middle.
That would be pretty sweet!

Betty Wont

Quote from: Luke51411 on May 18, 2015, 07:40:59 AM
I'm digging this circuit so much I think i'm going to go for it. It was so easy to build with common parts and a cheap board.

Luke51411

Quote from: Torgoslayer on May 18, 2015, 07:47:05 AM
Quote from: Luke51411 on May 18, 2015, 07:40:59 AM
I'm digging this circuit so much I think i'm going to go for it. It was so easy to build with common parts and a cheap board.
Heck yeah, I tried it with the univibe cap values and it has a really nice sound to it that way as well. Very cool phaser.

Jebus

Can someone enlighten me about what you mean with "thump"? I have never build a optical phaser, but got both Doppelganger 2.1 and this Krypton coming up soon.

alanp

It can mean ticking (sounds like a grandfather clock is in your pedal somewhere).

Another thing is if the trimmers are wrong. My PS-1A needed adjustment to the bias and amplitude, when they were wrong you could hear clearly when the LFO hit bottom and went booiiiing.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Betty Wont

Quote from: Jebus on May 18, 2015, 09:56:44 AM
Can someone enlighten me about what you mean with "thump"? I have never build a optical phaser, but got both Doppelganger 2.1 and this Krypton coming up soon.
Both of these are well layed out projects, you shouldn't have any trouble with LFO noise on either of them if you build them stock.

Luke51411

Quote from: Torgoslayer on May 18, 2015, 10:13:01 AM
Quote from: Jebus on May 18, 2015, 09:56:44 AM
Both of these are well layed out projects, you shouldn't have any trouble with LFO noise on either of them if you build them stock.
Yup mine works great without my experimentation.

Jebus

Quote from: alanp on May 18, 2015, 10:01:02 AM
It can mean ticking (sounds like a grandfather clock is in your pedal somewhere).

Ah, that clears it. As non-native speaker of English I have never heard it called thump. Thanks!