News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Irwin Unibit #1

Started by martincactus, January 25, 2016, 02:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: nzCdog on January 26, 2016, 10:40:08 PM
Use cutting oil. Stops the alloy binding to your bits, & preserves their tip sharpness

This is good advice.  Cutting oil is cheap and helps a lot.  It takes a bit more time to clean up the box afterwards, but it's usually worth it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Leevibe

Quote from: pickdropper on January 27, 2016, 05:13:36 AM
Quote from: Leevibe on January 26, 2016, 08:47:16 PM
I don't see skimping on a bit that I will drill thousands of holes with over the course of years. I was planning to get a new Irwin, as mine is finally showing signs of dulling, and it has developed a slight wobble. I like Klein stuff though. It looks like essentially the same price as the Irwin but with a 3/8" shank. I think I'll give that a try. Thanks Dave.

Let me know what think, Lee.  I've had really good luck with the Klein bits.

Alternatively, if you feel like spending more money, the Hougen mini hole cutters (they call them RotaCut) are simply the best thing I've used.  They have a spring loaded arbor that rides in the center punch hole.  Basically, if you locate the center punch correctly, it's going to drill where you want it.  I've barely touch the unibit since I got these.

http://www.hougen.com/cutters/sheet-metal-hole-cutters/Rotacut-sheet-metal-hole-cutters.html

Whoa, those look sweet. I checked out the 11075 small diameter kit. I wish they had a few more pedal friendly sizes. Still, I have a feeling that's a set you buy once and your grandkids end up with them some day.

miter53

I don't see skimping on a bit that I will drill thousands of holes with over the course of years. I was planning to get a new Irwin, as mine is finally showing signs of dulling, and it has developed a slight wobble. I like Klein stuff though. It looks like essentially the same price as the Irwin but with a 3/8" shank. I think I'll give that a try. Thanks Dave.

Alternatively, if you feel like spending more money, the Hougen mini hole cutters (they call them RotaCut) are simply the best thing I've used.  They have a spring loaded arbor that rides in the center punch hole.  Basically, if you locate the center punch correctly, it's going to drill where you want it.  I've barely touch the unibit since I got these.

http://www.hougen.com/cutters/sheet-metal-hole-cutters/Rotacut-sheet-metal-hole-cutters.html

Those do look nice! Any experience with this similar set that seems to be slightly less expensive?
http://www.amazon.com/Blair-Rotobroach-SAE-Master-Sizes/dp/B008DFZN0G/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1453910978&sr=1-3-fkmr1&keywords=Hougen+11085

A question: One of the convenient things about the unibit is that one bit will drill many diameters. How do you feel about having to swap cutters for each hole size? My tool weenie side really likes these, but it seems like it might be overkill and less convenient for drilling aluminum pedal boxes.
"Only sick music makes money today."-Friedrich Nietzsche
My photography website: http://michaelteresko.com/

pickdropper

Quote from: miter53 on January 27, 2016, 08:23:43 AM

Those do look nice! Any experience with this similar set that seems to be slightly less expensive?
http://www.amazon.com/Blair-Rotobroach-SAE-Master-Sizes/dp/B008DFZN0G/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1453910978&sr=1-3-fkmr1&keywords=Hougen+11085

A question: One of the convenient things about the unibit is that one bit will drill many diameters. How do you feel about having to swap cutters for each hole size? My tool weenie side really likes these, but it seems like it might be overkill and less convenient for drilling aluminum pedal boxes.

No experience it's th Blair, but that's actually more money than I spent on the Hougen stuff.  It's cheaper if you only get the sizes you use, but you do forgo the nice carrying case.  The large size cutters get pricey, but I generally don't need those for pedal enclosures, so I saved by not getting them (yet).

Swapping the cutters is a bit of a pain, but my overall drilling time per box has gone down.  Long term, I think I am going to get an arbor for every bit, which will make things go faster still.  I think the arbors are $15 a piece, so I only have two of them now.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

EBRAddict

Quote from: desmondtencents on January 26, 2016, 04:47:49 AM
I just recently started using a similar one from Milwaukee.

I use one of them too. It has far less wobble than the two Unibits I have. If Milwaukee made a metric version I'd buy one.

matmosphere

Quote from: davent on January 26, 2016, 10:25:26 AM
Drill a hole in the workbench so the drill has someplace to go. Use the hole when filing/reaming a hole. A workbench bench comes in handy.

Pot/jack/plug holder for soldering.

That's brilliant! I'm totally going to do that.