News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Harbinger 2015 Rate LED & Speed

Started by Jabulani Jonny, February 03, 2016, 01:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jabulani Jonny

Hey guys,
Looks like we lost some posts discussing swapping out C22 to provide the ability for the Rate LED to light at lower speed settings, but I can't remember what the suggested values were.  Seems like there was also talk of swapping one of the trannies, maybe Q12 or Q13, for an MPSA13 for more speed.  Any direction on increasing the speed and getting the rate LED to show lower speed settings?  It's not a deal killer and my preference would be not to go desoldering resistors around the speed pot, but thought I'd ask if it's an easy fix, since I socketed C22 and the trannies.  Thanks!
Jonathan

Aristatertotle

Can't vouch for swapping the transistor, but I think I used 10uf for c22 and it fixed the rate LED brightness on the one I built.

Jabulani Jonny

Bump on the transistor question.  Looking at the Harbinger schem, is it Q13 that's actually controlling the speed?  Seems more likely that it's Q11 & Q12, but I'm likely not looking at it correctly.

Can someone confirm the tranny controlling the speed and if it just needs a transistor with more gain?  I should have several different options I can try, e.g. 2n3904, 2n5089, MPSA18, etc. 

Thanks!

EDIT:  I'm good!  stuck in a 2n5089 for Q13 and a 4.7uf for C22.  More speed and Rate LED pulses at lowest speed setting now.
Jonathan

jtaormina

I have a piggy back question off this. When the rate pot is turned almost all the way down but not, my rate led stops flashing.  On the way down it get dimer and dimer until off. I've used rate LEDs before and they flash full brightness but very slow.

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: jtaormina on February 09, 2016, 07:22:21 AM
I have a piggy back question off this. When the rate pot is turned almost all the way down but not, my rate led stops flashing.  On the way down it get dimer and dimer until off. I've used rate LEDs before and they flash full brightness but very slow.

This is what the swap of the cap at C22 fixes.  Change C22 from a 1uf to a 4.7uf or 10uf and that will fix it. 
Jonathan

jtaormina

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on February 09, 2016, 07:41:38 AM
Quote from: jtaormina on February 09, 2016, 07:22:21 AM

This is what the swap of the cap at C22 fixes.  Change C22 from a 1uf to a 4.7uf or 10uf and that will fix it.

Lol I swear I read this thread. I for some reason in my head I got this topic mixed up with one about bypassing the bulb power when the footswitch is in bypass of the effect. I could have sworn I just read that topic recently too. Oops.

Sorry! Thanks!