News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Alternative to having a laser printer

Started by matmosphere, February 15, 2016, 08:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I'd like to start etching but every tutorial I see involves using a laser printer to get a good transfer. Unfortunately I don't have one. I've considered having things printed at a print shop, but I'm nut confident in any of the shops I've used around me. Does anyone know of a decent alternative?

stevie1556

Any print shop should have a laser printer or photocopier. Years ago, I printed out loads of etching files onto a bit of paper and got Staples to photocopy it me. It worked quite well. The other alternative is look on Facebook groups for where you are, ask if someone on the group has a laser printer and wouldn't mind printing out a sheet or two.

I was looking for some blue Press N Peel the other week and found the cheap Chinese transfer paper, it's much cheaper (20 sheets for the price of one PNP sheet) and they worked really well.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

davent

If you have an inkjet printer, apparently you can produce the transparenies needed for photoresist boards. I use a laserjet to make the transparencies and haven't tried doing it with an inkjet.

Personally i can't fathom why people use toner transfer as an etch resist unless they just can't get photoresist boards.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Creating-Printed-Circuit-Boards-with-a-INKJET-Prin/

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alparent

Quote from: stevie1556 on February 15, 2016, 08:58:40 AM
Any print shop should have a laser printer or photocopier. Years ago, I printed out loads of etching files onto a bit of paper and got Staples to photocopy it me. It worked quite well. The other alternative is look on Facebook groups for where you are, ask if someone on the group has a laser printer and wouldn't mind printing out a sheet or two.

I was looking for some blue Press N Peel the other week and found the cheap Chinese transfer paper, it's much cheaper (20 sheets for the price of one PNP sheet) and they worked really well.

Any link to that cheap transfer paper?  :o)
I'm French.......sorry for my bad Englishhhhhhh.

stevie1556

Double post : (

stevie1556

Quote from: stevie1556 on February 15, 2016, 09:15:40 AM

Quote from: alparent on February 15, 2016, 09:04:00 AM

Can't seem to link to it, but this is the screenshot of the one I got.....

davent

Quote from: alparent on February 15, 2016, 09:04:00 AM
Quote from: stevie1556 on February 15, 2016, 08:58:40 AM

There's a place in Niagara Falls that used to sell one, i think MarK H. has played around with it or at least posted about it.

dipmicro.com which i can't get through to right now.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alparent

m-Kresol

It depends on if you want to etch pcbs or enclosures. I agree with davent, photoresistive pcbs are cheap and widely available. You only need some transparent sheets for overhead projectors to print your mask, which also works with inkjets.

I've tried photoresist on enclosures using a spray can, but it didn't turn out too well. The thickness of the film is just to uneven to give you good results and you don't want to overexpose the film. Also, you can't use NaOH for etching the enclosures, you're basically limited to FeCl3.

Before I got a laser printer at home (the one Cody recommends in his tutorial), I printed the masks for toner transfer at work using a big ass office printer/photo copier and it worked rather well too
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

davent

alparent

Running out HP Photo paper.....
And this Yellow stuff is must cheaper! 2$ for 10 on ebay.

stevie1556

Quote from: alparent on February 15, 2016, 10:21:56 AM
Running out HP Photo paper.....
And this Yellow stuff is must cheaper! 2$ for 10 on ebay.

Stock up on it! order 1 million sheets ready for the full Etchers Paradise!!!!!!