News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

reccomend me a project: analog octave down!

Started by the3secondrule, February 17, 2016, 12:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the3secondrule

Hey guys,

It's been a while but I want to get back into to building.
I'm looking for something fairly specific project wise - what I really want is an octave down that will fit in a 1590b, any projects out there?

I really like the lowrider but don't need the -2 and +1 octaves, and i'm really OCD about redundant/un-used controls on a pedal, plus its bigger than what will fit on my board.
I built the THcustom U-boat, but it was too glitchy/clicky/synthy.
What I really want I guess is a chopped down boss OC2, with only the -1 and dry controls. but I don't think such a project exists.

anything else I should be aware of?

Or do I just need to layout a PCB for a stripped back OC2 myself?
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Muadzin

Don't all analog octave down pedals sound glitchy/clicky/synthy? At least to me they all do. Great if you like that but I like my octave down to actually sound like an octave down. Methinks you want a 1590b octave down that's not glitchy/clicky/synthy, get a Nano Pog from EHX.

jimilee

Quote from: the3secondrule on February 17, 2016, 12:30:29 AM
Hey guys,

It's been a while but I want to get back into to building.
I'm looking for something fairly specific project wise - what I really want is an octave down that will fit in a 1590b, any projects out there?

I really like the lowrider but don't need the -2 and +1 octaves, and i'm really OCD about redundant/un-used controls on a pedal, plus its bigger than what will fit on my board.
I built the THcustom U-boat, but it was too glitchy/clicky/synthy.
What I really want I guess is a chopped down boss OC2, with only the -1 and dry controls. but I don't think such a project exists.

anything else I should be aware of?

Or do I just need to layout a PCB for a stripped back OC2 myself?

http://vulcanofx.blogspot.com/search/label/octaver
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

the UBoat is literally the best analog single octave down there is. If it's not good enough for your purposes, you need a digital pedal like the POG.

Timko

Quote from: midwayfair on February 17, 2016, 05:37:54 AM
the UBoat is literally the best analog single octave down there is. If it's not good enough for your purposes, you need a digital pedal like the POG.

+1.  Just built one of these, and it's amazing.  It's glitchy, but the tracking control combined with the mix produce a really controlled experience with minimized glitching.  Plus, it just sounds awesome.

the3secondrule

Quote from: midwayfair on February 17, 2016, 05:37:54 AM

Interesting. I remember being rather underwhelmed with the uBoat, I thought the lowrider produced a much better low octave. Perhaps I need to revisit it

And I already have an EHX pitchfork, but I'd prefer something analog

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

the3secondrule

jimilee

It's scary, but when you get in to it, it's not so bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matmosphere

I second Jimi, Vero isn't so bad. It's kinda fun IMO, just be careful with the cuts and jumpers and you'll be just fine. Although PCBs with onboard pots have made me kinda lazy in that department lately.

Muadzin

Quote from: the3secondrule on February 17, 2016, 12:06:23 PM
Interesting. I remember being rather underwhelmed with the uBoat, I thought the lowrider produced a much better low octave. Perhaps I need to revisit it

I really don't get the obsession some people have with analog. You have a superior product but you want an inferior one just because the Pitchfork is digital? There is not a single analog octaver out there that will come close to the tracking of the digital octavers. But if you're so dead set on getting an analog one I'm more then willing to relieve you off your Pitchfork if you want to get rid of it.  ;)

matmosphere

Quote from: Muadzin on February 18, 2016, 05:11:52 AM
Quote from: the3secondrule on February 17, 2016, 12:06:23 PM

I really don't get the obsession some people have with analog. You have a superior product but you want an inferior one just because the Pitchfork is digital? There is not a single analog octaver out there that will come close to the tracking of the digital octavers. But if you're so dead set on getting an analog one I'm more then willing to relieve you off your Pitchfork if you want to get rid of it.  ;)

I was just watching I Dream Of Wires the other day. There were a lot of good quotes about guitarist being the only people who are perfectly content using 50-60 year old technology. Interesting stuff, made me want to get into Euro rack stuff.

I will say though that the guitarist in my band has a micro pig and I thought it sounded  very unnatural, but when he used it during a song and it was just in the mix it sounded great and cut through really well. Sometimes that artificial sound that digital effects have gets lost in the mix and those effects work better than I thought they would.

kinski

On VERO
For clean: Simplified OC-2 (only one octave down)
For synthy: Robot Devil

Love both of these.

gordo

Going to have to look into the UBoat.  Low Rider sounds good and tracks really well but is big.  The digital stuff tends to sound a bit sterile due to the nature that it's just math so it's pretty hard to just divide frequencies by two and have it sound natural.  Flipside is that tracking is usually great and multiple frequencies can be handled (an entire chord versus single notes).

Isn't Brian working on an OC-2 version?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?