News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Seeed pcb users...

Started by pryde, March 03, 2016, 11:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

I am going to order some pcbs from Seeed. They have already been verified through OSH Park so should be good to go for a larger batch.

Do I need to change anything in my OSH Park zip file when ordering through Seeed or is it good to go as is?

THanks

jkokura

Seeed have their own design rules. You'll need to export the gerbers they want to see.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

stevie1556

I use iTead for my boards, and in their help section they have a file that you can load into the CAM processor and it will create the right gerbers for you. Seeed may have the same sort of file on their site that you can download

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

pryde

From what I can tell the only difference is the drill file extension. oshpark is ".dbl" and Seeed is ".txt" All other gerber files are the same.

I renamed the drill extension and zipped up the gerbers, then loaded them to Seeed but I can't figure out how to "view" the pcb. Not sure if it is possible like you can with oshpark?

EDIT: BTW I am using Diptrace. Not sure if that matters.

jkokura

No, there's no preview function.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

pryde

Quote from: jkokura on March 03, 2016, 12:45:51 PM
No, there's no preview function.

Jacob

Well I suppose I have to cross fingers then and see what happens. Just to be clear the drill file extension is to be renamed as an actual text file (.txt)?

Looks like itead requires the same thing for drill file as well

jkokura

You can use a Gerber viewer to check your files. There are a few online I think, that you can upload your files to and look at them. If you upload your files to Osh, and then use that as a preview, it should be the same when you get your files from Seeed.

I would mention that I stopped using Seeed a long while back. I found their product a little inconsistent, and their shipping price went through the roof all of the sudden. I use Elecrow now.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

culturejam

Actually, they recently added a gerber viewer to their order page:
https://www.seeedstudio.com/service/index.php?r=pcb

It actually works pretty well.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pryde

Quote from: culturejam on March 03, 2016, 05:45:15 PM
Actually, they recently added a gerber viewer to their order page:
https://www.seeedstudio.com/service/index.php?r=pcb

It actually works pretty well.

I did see that but nothing shows up when I load my zip file? Not sure why.
I haven't committed to them yet and open to other fab house suggestions that people like (including Elecrow mentioned by Jacob)

culturejam

Nothing shows up until you click the "gerber viewer" button. Then it loads a new tab.  (this is after you upload your gerber zip file)

john_p_wi

Elecrow usually is fairly decent. Here in the states you can get 10 boards for 40 bucks including shipping from Accutrace w/o bottom silk.

Check out http://pcbshopper.com/ for price comparisons between proto houses.

pryde

Quote from: culturejam on March 03, 2016, 06:14:13 PM
Nothing shows up until you click the "gerber viewer" button. Then it loads a new tab.  (this is after you upload your gerber zip file)

Indeed no go. The gerber viewer button stays grey-ed out/unclickable even after uploading.

culturejam

Also, regarding the CAM / Gerber compatibility, I've noticed that Seeed, iTead, and Elecrow's design rules are so close that they are practically identical. I've used iTead's CAM file to make gerbers that worked great at both Seeed and Elecrow's fabs. They are just that close.

You should still use each company's CAM file for their production to be safe, but I've "crossed the streams" a few times and it has worked out fine.

culturejam

Quote from: pryde on March 03, 2016, 06:46:22 PM
Indeed no go. The gerber viewer button stays grey-ed out/unclickable even after uploading.

Did you use Seeed's CAM file to generate the gerbers? I just randomly selected a gerber zip I had laying around, but it was made with either Elecrow's or iTead's CAM.

pryde

Quote from: culturejam on March 03, 2016, 06:56:03 PM
Quote from: pryde on March 03, 2016, 06:46:22 PM

Did you use Seeed's CAM file to generate the gerbers? I just randomly selected a gerber zip I had laying around, but it was made with either Elecrow's or iTead's CAM.

No. I already had gerber files saved on my computer from the oshpark order. I just uploaded them (with changing the drill file extension to .txt) to their "Select Your Gerber File" button at the top.
This is not correct I assume?