What is the best way to use the drilling templates for metal boxes ?

Started by cleaninglady, March 21, 2016, 02:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleaninglady

Hi All

Thanks for having me on the forum ! :)

I'd just like to get some advice on how you use the templates for drilling the metal boxes when building your pedals ?

Specifically , what settings need to be used when printing them off ? I will be doing this on the Xerox machine at my local library via USB i assume.

Thanks !

dbp512

If you're using a PCB most build documents include a drilling template. Usually its a PDF so just make sure you print it out at 100% (as opposed to "scaled to fit page"). Of course you still want to double check everything before drilling; make sure the template PCB is the same size as the actual, that the pots/switches line up, the PCB fits into the box (sometimes the screw holes in the corners require you to mount the board a bit lower). If its your first time drilling an enclosure out I'd suggest using a cheap box as a test. Have fun and welcome to the community.
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

cleaninglady

Thanks dbp512 ! Thats what i was after.

I suppose stocktaking the template to the boxes is a good idea, yes ?

JackSkellington

I saw someone to use a bit of tape and sticking it over the border inside the box.
You are lucky, you have a printer.
I draw at the computer all my templates for every single pedal taking the internal measures, then I sign the point and the diameter of the holes on the box with a pencil. I hit the center with a nail and I drill with a driller by hand, no support, using several drills and a step drill (4-6-8-10-12mm).
Sometimes I had to correct the holes while I was drilling it moving in the right center. For 5-7-9mm holes I use a tapered reamer.
I have to say I am good enough, now.
What method! Am I crazy?
Take all the time you need while you drill the boxes. Especially if you don't have professional tools.

Good luck.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

galaxiex

http://www.geofex.com
Has a tutorial on drilling boxes.
It's under FX Skills/How To's at the top of the menu left side.
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

gül

Quote from: cleaninglady on March 21, 2016, 02:19:03 AM
Hi All

Thanks for having me on the forum ! :)

I'd just like to get some advice on how you use the templates for drilling the metal boxes when building your pedals ?

Specifically , what settings need to be used when printing them off ? I will be doing this on the Xerox machine at my local library via USB i assume.

Thanks !

Welcome to the forum! Always nice to see another female builder on here... At least, I'm assuming you're female with a name like cleaninglady.  ;)

cleaninglady

Thanks all for your replies everyone !

aishabag , i'm actually male but many thanks for your kind greeting.

Do people just print the .pdf off at 100% and then tape it to the box of centre punching and drilling ?

I'm doing it all by hand with a hand drill.

lincolnic

Quote from: cleaninglady on April 08, 2016, 03:05:40 AM
Do people just print the .pdf off at 100% and then tape it to the box of centre punching and drilling ?

I'm doing it all by hand with a hand drill.

This is exactly what I do, and I'm also using a hand drill. You'll want to cover the enclosure in masking tape before you drill so it doesn't get scratched up by aluminum shrapnel.

Also, use a clamp to hold the enclosure in place.

Willybomb

As a long term drill by hand type guy, I used to mark out my drill points with a texta and square ruler. Results were average, but I would then scan the box and do my artwork around those holes using layers in Photoshop, eventually printing, sticking, painting.

I've graduated to making my drill template in PS, doing my artwork, printing that up, taping it to the enclosure and drilling. Then I paint, et al.

All my drilling was done with me bracing the box with a knee or a foot, with a step bit, into a guide hole.

For my last batch of boxes I made use of the templates from the build docs as I was using board mounted pots a lot of the time. It's easy enough to select/copy/paste.

I've moved up in the world though. I'm lucky enough to be using a drill press that is as old as the hills, at least 50 years old. It spins at around 5 revs per second and goes through the box like its water. I must post a pic, it truly is a thing of ancient beauty.

The biggest issue now, is taping the template onto the box square..

cleaninglady

I've printed it off correctly and attached the photocopy to my box for punching and drilling.

The only problem is the holes for the DC jack and Input /Output Jacks are not lined up with any useful spot on the box.

I'm using this box for the build : http://www.taydaelectronics.com/1590bb-style-aluminum-diecast-enclosure.html

Ive attached a photo of the box as is.

Does anyone have accurate measurements from the top of the box down so i can correctly place these IN/OUT Jacks and DC Jack ?

Or any suggestions on what to do next ?

Martan

HI,

The drill template you are using is for a 1590BB tall enclosure, which is a bit deeper than what you bought. You need the extra clearance with that total recall to fit everything in. Pedalpartsplus sells them as a 1690:

http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PPP&Product_Code=1604&Category_Code=ENC16

Marty

Martan

By the way, if you are drilling by hand I definitely suggest using a hole punch to make an indent where the holes are going to be so the drill doesn't walk on you. I really marred up my first attempt at hand drilling without it.

Jules

Yeah I always use a metal stamping tool to mark the spots on the box to be drilled.
I the usually remove the template to drill although you might want to leave that on till you know what sizes to make the holes for pots, switches etc.
Always double and triple check things before drilling, I have screwed up boxes using templates, usually in/out jacks being slightly to close to the PCB/box.
It takes a little while to become competent and confident, after a while you should be a 'drill ninja' though.

Willybomb

While I'm drilling I'll have a jack, DC plug, pot, footswitch, and and other necessary switches with me so I can check the fit as I go.  For stuff on the sides I'll generally do that by eye - run a line down from the template on top, hold the part against it so I can get it as close to the baseplate as possible and mark that against the line, then drill.

cleaninglady

Quote from: Martan on April 11, 2016, 02:38:14 AM
HI,

The drill template you are using is for a 1590BB tall enclosure, which is a bit deeper than what you bought. You need the extra clearance with that total recall to fit everything in. Pedalpartsplus sells them as a 1690:

http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PPP&Product_Code=1604&Category_Code=ENC16

Marty

Dayum !!! I thought something was amiss !  :o

Looks like i have even more expense now !!