News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How to make a pretty box?

Started by taeagan, April 03, 2016, 06:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taeagan

So I started scrolling through the finished build reports and I must say, I'm floored by how nice everybody's work looks.  How are people finishing their enclosures and getting such cool graphics on them?  I was planning on spray painting and then enamel painting - or even hand writing in sharpie! - on the painted boxes.  But it would seem that I could do way better.  Any ideas on where to start? 

devilsnight

I powder coat most of my boxes but, none the less... I design a graphic in paint and print it on white sticker paper. then clear spray paint for the top coat. It gives a matte finish for some reason but works pretty good.

devilsnight

Few more examples. Neo clone and R1 are bought. The rest I made using the technique I described. Made the board too :)

alanp

When I'm feeling posh, I use a brush, and India Ink. Looks quite sharp, provided your hand is steady. Jon and Davent can speak to this.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Google and various social media outlets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

m-Kresol

The easiest is probably to design your artwork around the existing drilling template and printing it on whatever you feel like. I've seen people use photopaper and glue that on top of the enclosure. You could also use sticker paper. Most use waterslide decals, which you might know from Revel models (airplanes and such). They are a bit tricky, but if you get the hang of it they look very good, especially when covered in epoxy (for bling and protection).

I've been more and more drifting towards etching enclosures, but that's probably the chemist in me saying that I have to ;) Laser engraving or faceplates are another way to do graphics.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

blearyeyes

The only good looking ones I've done were clear water slide decal with clear coat sprayed over the top. The next step up would be to use Evirotex or similar epoxy for the final step instead clear coat.   A lot of guys here have done great tutorials.

selfdestroyer

Whats fun about posting all your builds on the forum or on a blog is you get to see your progress over the years. I started just like everyone else, looking on the forums and trying to wrap my head around all others builds. I started pretty small with solid colors and sharpie for control labels. Then my wife helped me find a bunch of stamps from a craft store and I started doing solid colors and stamps for controls. At this point I was etching my own PCBs and really wanted to try my hand at etching enclosures. Once I did a BUNCH of trial and error, I fell in love with the out come of reverse etches and never looked back.... But I do wish I could be content with solid colors and stamps again, it was a simpler setup and I was able to turn a pedal around a lot quicker. The artwork process of etches are a bit time consuming.

Like Felix said, I too also build my artwork around the drill templates. I am a HUGE fan of on board pots and use them every chance I can. It just so much cleaner and can make your build sturdier.

Work with what you got and build from there. Its a fun learning process and you will become a better builder with each build you do.

Cody

rmfroyd

I use lazertran waterslide paper.  It is spendy, but works awesome.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Haberdasher

Quote from: rmfroyd on April 04, 2016, 04:21:38 PM

nice.  do you use the kind for laser or inkjet?  i noticed they have either for sale at amazon.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

rmfroyd

I use the ink jet ones.  I also have 2 fairly heavy coats of automotive grade clear coat over them, but that's just for durability.

George

Quote from: rmfroyd on April 04, 2016, 04:21:38 PM

Great looking pedals - the only (sort of) ''downside''  i found is that the enclosure has to be white in order for the colors to blend nice. I would like an easy & cheap way to prin bright colors on dark enclosures :(

rmfroyd

Quote from: George on April 05, 2016, 01:30:43 AM

Great looking pedals - the only (sort of) ''downside''  i found is that the enclosure has to be white in order for the colors to blend nice. I would like an easy & cheap way to prin bright colors on dark enclosures :(

I just got some white-backed decal paper in the other day, but I haven't tried it yet.  I will let you know how it works when I get around to it.  You can always paint the top white, mask it, and paint the rest of the enclosure as you wish.  It ain't easy, but it will get you by in a pinch.  I did that process on these:

Willybomb

Darth phaser, that is so cool. If I ever get the urge to make a phaser I'm stealing that name.

Back to topic, I undercoated my enclosures in black, and then masked off and sprayed the tops white before putting my labels on as the labels were going opacy blochily with a black top. I did that for my Harley's Hammer, Hyperactive Hyperdrive, and Dead ringer builds.

matmosphere

I've had a few things printed onto transparency sheets then spray painted the back of the sheet white. That way your box can be whatever colour you want. Then I put envirotex on them. Next time I'm going to try lacquer instead but the transparency paper is thick so I'm not 100% confident that it'll turn out well.