News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Green Bean - My first pedal

Started by pryonisys, April 05, 2016, 01:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryonisys

Still having problems with this.  I have it hooked up to a testing rig and it's giving no sound at all, if I unplug it from power a signal does come through.  I went over the board with the multimeter and everything seems to read 9v (all parts of the IC and all of the other components) There are a few options I can think of,
1. I don't know how to use a multimeter
2. the multimeter I'm using sucks
3. Something that I can't see is grounded when it shouldn't be.

I'll keep reading help and troubleshooting files, but if this sounds famaliar to anyone I'd appreciate the help.  Thanks.

jimilee

Happens to me all the time. Got pictures close up of both sides? Did you reflow all of your solder joints? Did you check components to make sure everything was the correct orientation and value?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pryonisys

Just went through and reflowed all my solder joints but still no go.  I have been trying to take pictures of this thing for awhile but finally was able to tonight.  To me it looks pretty good, but I may just not know what in the world I'm talking about.
Sorry if some of these are a little blurry, they looked fine on my phone then I put them on my computer and realized they are a lot more blurry than I thought.

I'm sad that I haven't been able to get this to work yet, but I know that it's going to feel awesome when it does finally work

pryonisys

I'm going to either try working on this pedal again tonight or move on to another pedal.  Has anyone seen anything that jumps out to them in regard to this pedal?  I think at this moment my strugle is I don't fully know what I'm doing when it comes to troubleshooting but I'll do what I can.
It is just kind of sad that it seems to have a clean sound with now power then when power is applied there is no sound and nothing else.

Govmnt_Lacky

Couple of ideas...

1) Use your multimeter and test to make sure your 9V and GND are not shorted. Just set the multimeter to "ohms" and put the red lead on the 9V wire and the Black lead on the GND wire. (MAKE SURE TO DO THIS WITHOUT POWER CONNECTED) You will see a resistance reading however, it should not be less than a few hundred ohms.
2) Check to make sure you are reading GND at all of the appropriate points on the PCB. If the passives are not grounded properly, that can cause you to see 9V everywhere.

Good Luck!  ;)

pryonisys

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 25, 2016, 04:12:04 PM
Couple of ideas...

1) Use your multimeter and test to make sure your 9V and GND are not shorted. Just set the multimeter to "ohms" and put the red lead on the 9V wire and the Black lead on the GND wire. (MAKE SURE TO DO THIS WITHOUT POWER CONNECTED) You will see a resistance reading however, it should not be less than a few hundred ohms.
2) Check to make sure you are reading GND at all of the appropriate points on the PCB. If the passives are not grounded properly, that can cause you to see 9V everywhere.

Good Luck!  ;)

Thanks a ton, I will give these things a check.  I really appreciate everyone here the help and experience from others is great.

LedZepp007

Necro thread, but is the IC oriented properly? You should really socket those things.

Orbis_Ignis

Quote from: LedZepp007 on June 15, 2016, 06:52:49 PM
Necro thread, but is the IC oriented properly? You should really socket those things.

The IC is oriented correctly, but the wires for the power look pretty suspect at the solder joints. Have you taken the voltages for the pins of the IC?