News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Green Bean - My first pedal

Started by pryonisys, April 05, 2016, 01:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryonisys

I am a newbie at pedal building, I've done some very simple things (AB switches and volume knob pedals) but I want to begin building effect pedals.
I want to start by doing a duel overdrive pedal, I'm going to try using the madbean 8ball and madbean Greenbean effects together to make a JHS Double Barrel style overdrive.
I've ordered the PCBs from Madbean, I've ordered parts from Tayda Electronics, my soldering iron and multimeter are ready for use (even if I'm not super comfortable using the multimeter yet).

What I want to know is if there is any simple advice anyone has for me as a new builder.  Is this a more complicated build than I should try as a first attempt or if I am patient and take my time should I be ok?  Is there anything vital I should know before I get started on this build so I don't destroy anything?

I look forward to having something to show for my work and I look forward to being able to contribute to this community.  Thanks.

stringsthings

I use my multimeter for continuity checks as I solder in the parts.  Just follow the schematic to see which parts should connect to each other and check them for continuity as you go.  That eliminates many soldering problems.  I also like to check off each part with a highlighter as I solder them to the board.

Patience here is a real virtue.  And if you make an error, it's not the end of the world.  Troubleshooting is a process we've all gone thru many times.
All You Need Is Love

midwayfair

There are multiple skills involved. One is populating the PCB and getting a working effect.

Another is putting it in a box and having a solid pedal that you can move around and stomp on and expect to work.

A third might be understanding schematics and diagrams.

Wiring up a double pedal isn't that much more complicated than wiring up a single pedal, but it does double the number of problems you can create for yourself and you also need to be sure that you can handle deviating from the basic setup for a project. I won't tell you to not attempt it, but you might consider reducing the number of things that can go wrong and making life a little easier on yourself.

Besides, a double pedal isn't necessarily cheaper or less space than a single large pedal and in some cases can introduce some very difficult to diagnose problems, like oscillation or power supply issues.

dbp512

Welcome to the community! Think of this as legos for adults. Lots of small pieces, most of them hurt like fuck if you step on them (I'm looking at you, opamps), and if you follow the pictures/instructions you'll end up with something that resembles what it should. Its not too hard with PCBs, since all you need to do is put the right component in the right spot and don't make any solder bridges: as opposed to stripboard, which also requires you drilling out holes, adding jumpers, and bending the components to the right lengths/aligning them properly. As for the multimeter, you'll get comfortable with it soon, trust me. As strings said, its useful to check for continuity as you're building so you know if you made a mistake before the end, but thats way too much trouble for me. I typically complete a build, then probe every connection/strip to ensure no solder bridges. 

One last bit of advise: hot soldering irons look like cold soldering irons. But they sure as hell don't feel the same.
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

pryonisys

Thanks guys.  The pedal building community here is helping to give me to confidence to build.

pryonisys

PCBs arrived today for both the GreenBean and the 8-Ball.
I'll be getting to work this weekend (it will be slow work with a 7 week old baby) but I'm looking forward to a new hobby that has a productive goal.  I actually have a PCB of an Ember Drive from DIY Guitar Pedals that I'm going to start with because it's a much more simple board than the other two.
I'll keep you guys up to date.

PhiloB

you've got this!  as others have said, just be patient, take your time and have fun.  If you make a mistake it's not the end of the world.  I've learned a great deal from making mistakes building pedals-just wish I could say I always kept a great attitude;)

solderfumes

Do you have a testing rig, even if it's just a breadboard?  A third hand for soldering?

Here are some things I wish I knew when I started:

- when tinning the tips of wires, have them angled downward so the solder flows *down* toward the tip and not back toward the sleeve
- a bit of BluTac or double-sided sticky tape is your friend when soldering pots in place onto the board: put them roughly in place, stick them there with the tape/BluTac, and then solder away
- socket your ICs and maybe even your transistors -- fixing one you put in reversed is a major pain

Happy building!

lincolnic

Quote from: solderfumes on April 09, 2016, 12:22:45 AM
- when tinning the tips of wires, have them angled downward so the solder flows *down* toward the tip and not back toward the sleeve

...I've been building for six years and I've never thought to do this.

pryonisys

Quote from: solderfumes on April 09, 2016, 12:22:45 AM
Do you have a testing rig, even if it's just a breadboard?  A third hand for soldering?

Here are some things I wish I knew when I started:

- a bit of BluTac or double-sided sticky tape is your friend when soldering pots in place onto the board: put them roughly in place, stick them there with the tape/BluTac, and then solder away
- socket your ICs and maybe even your transistors -- fixing one you put in reversed is a major pain

Happy building!
Thanks, I actually did set up a testing rig this weekend, and my soldering iron came with a third hand thankfully.  These are all really good ideas also.
I completed a small ember drive pedal that I had bought about a year ago this weekend, the only problem is it only worked for 5 minutes.  The good news is I know it just has to be a component is grounded because everything is shoved pretty poorly into a 1590a box that I had used for something else previously.  A little electrical tape should fix that and a lesson has been learned.

I'll be working on the GreenBean tonight for a bit I'll be documenting with pictures hopefully unless I get too involved and forget to take pictures (which wouldn't surprise me too much).

EBRAddict

A good exercise may be to read the DC voltages at every component and figure out why they are what they are. Pretty much every component is there for a reason and its usefulness depends on the DC voltages at every node in a circuit.

pryonisys

Ok, so I put all the components in the Green Bean and it doesn't work, I'm sad, but not incredibly frustrated.  There isn't any sound at all, so maybe I just did something small wrong or so I hope.  I haven't started troubleshooting it yet.  Time to re-read the troubleshooting document and start attempting to follow the schematic, but that will be a project for tomorrow.  Currently there is a crying baby and I figure I should go help my wife with that so we are actually able to sleep tonight.
I'll keep you guys up to date.

pryonisys

I'm getting clean sound through without power applied (testing it, not boxed and no switch yet) but noting when power is applied.  I'm about to trace the power but are there any suggestions as i begin this?

midwayfair

Quote from: pryonisys on April 13, 2016, 12:49:50 AM
I'm getting clean sound through without power applied (testing it, not boxed and no switch yet) but noting when power is applied.  I'm about to trace the power but are there any suggestions as i begin this?

Here are sets of step-by-step instructions for debugging a build, pretty much in order of complexity:

https://www.reddit.com/r/diypedals/comments/23yroq/some_friendly_reminders_about_getting_effective/
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0
http://www.geofex.com/fxdebug/fxdebug.htm

pryonisys

This may sound ridiculous but I was checking the voltage on the IC and all of the readings are at just about 9 volts.  It is possible I have no clue what I'm doing with a multimeter.  I have the black probe going to ground and I'm testing the IC and all of the legs of the IC are reading at 9 volts.
In fact everything on the board seems to read at 9 volts.  What the heck!?
Maybe I should be using a better multimeter than this one that I bought from Harbor Freight for $5.  Maybe that's a goal for later this week.