News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cosmopolitan - verified

Started by storyboardist, April 08, 2016, 12:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storyboardist

Built this one up last night. Worked straight away. I used a MP38 for Q3 as the AC127s I have on hand are really leaky. Played at low volume late last night and was really impressed with the sound. Haven't boxed it up yet. Hopefully over the weekend. Great layout, Brian!

http://s18.postimg.org/biuk21j93/image.gif
Guy behind Effects Layouts

Bret608

Cool! I was playing mine (built on the older etch layout) this morning and it still sounds great. One thing I'd like to encourage you to try--pop one of those leaky AC127s in there (ballpark hfe around 60-90) and see what you think. I used to have a transistor with about 50 hfe and really low leakage in my Q3; then I tried out an AC176 with 88hfe and around 0.500 mA (!) of leakage and it actually sounds better. I can't help thinking Skreddy designed this circuit as a way to use up AC-type transistors that were too leaky for traditional Fuzz Faces.

alanp

Cosmopolitans are amazing :) I have one that lives on my board.

Mine has a MP38A -- I tried an AC-something in it, sounded awful. Went back to the Russian transistor.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Droogie

I built this up yesterday, the first time in four tries to get a Cosmo working! It had been my kryptonite til now--sounds as good as advertized.
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

pryde

Love my cosmo. Will not let her go.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

storyboardist

Ralfg

Awesome work on the pedal!  Looks amazing.  I built this too and it sounds really good.  Etching is new to me but this worked out great.  In fact it was your site that got me into etching and I built a Tonebender from your layouts, and my friend who I built it for is going crazy over it.  Thanks for verifying and thanks for all the work you do on the effects layout site. 
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

storyboardist

Quote from: Ralfg on October 04, 2016, 07:40:49 PM
Awesome work on the pedal!  Looks amazing.  I built this too and it sounds really good.  Etching is new to me but this worked out great.  In fact it was your site that got me into etching and I built a Tonebender from your layouts, and my friend who I built it for is going crazy over it.  Thanks for verifying and thanks for all the work you do on the effects layout site.

Thanks man!