News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Naughty Fish makes a motorboating sound

Started by bscur, April 17, 2016, 08:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bscur

I just fired up my Naught Fish for the first time and sadly, there is only a loud motorboating sound when the pedal is engaged. The sound seems to change a bit if I turn the knobs or flip the switches, but there isn't any guitar sounds. I put the socket in backwards for IC1, but the chip is in the correct way. I didn't think that mattered- does it? 
Thanks,
Brad
Here are the IC numbers:
IC 1
1) 0
2) 0
3) 0
4)8.41
5)0
6)0
7)0
8)8.83

IC 2
1).49
2)0
3)0
4)8.41
5)3.31
6)3.55
7)3.47
8)8.83

IC 3
1)0
2)0
3)0
4)8.41
5)0
6)0
7)0
8)8.83

IC 4
1)1.35
2)4.80
3)0
4)3.79
5)8.40
6)2.56
7)1.44
8)8.83

mcasemo

are IC4 pins 4 and 5 positive or negative?

mcasemo

also, if you are testing outside a box, make sure your input and output jacks are grounded.  if you follow the build doc, your output may need to be grounded

bscur

Thanks. I have a little test box that I screw the jacks into for grounding. Both IC4 4 and 5 are positive.
Thanks

drolo

IC4 pin 5 should be negative.
(if we are referring to the schematic on this build doc: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/NaughtyFish/NaughtyFish2015.pdf)
This is also the negative voltage that should be on pin 4 of the other IC's
Could you double check if you have measured the voltage correctly? Otherwise check if you have the correct IC in there.

bscur

Hi,
I have a LT1054CP chip in at number 4.

bscur

I have a 1n5242 as the 12v zener diode. Just checking that that is correct. The motorboat sound speeds up and slows down turning the knobs and goes away momentarily when I strum the guitar (although no guitar sounds come through).

mcasemo

If using LT1054, you need to lift pin 1.  It can't be connected to pin 8 like the others.  Did you lift pin 1?

bscur

Hi,
No, I didn't lift any pins. I haven't done that before. Do I just clip off the first pin of the IC? I don't think the docs mentioned that. Thanks for the advice and let me know the best way to lift the pin.
Thanks,
Brad

bscur

Also, is there a different IC that would work instead of LT1054 for IC4 and wouldn't require lifting any pins?

Orbis_Ignis

Did you ground the sleeve of the output jack? For some reason Madbean never puts it in the wiring but I've had to do it every time or I just get a lot of noise.

bscur

I added the extra ground in and I tried lifting the trace of pin #1 and it had the same sound.

Orbis_Ignis

There is definitely something wrong with IC1 and IC3. You should have some type of voltage on those other pins (if I'm looking at the schematic right).

Edit: except for pin 3 and 5 on ic3, which are going to ground

bscur

Well, now I've got guitar sounds coming through and when I play it there is some effect. However, if I stop and let it sit there is a loud buzzing. I play and the buzzing stops. The effect is fairly erratic. sometimes there is an extended high pitched declining whining sound kind of like the old funky song "You Dropped the Bomb on Me". Could the vactrols be bad? Is it a grounding issue? I'll re-check the IC1 and IC3. Maybe they are different with the sound coming through.

bscur

IC1 and IC3 are the same
1)0
2)0
3)0
4)8.4
5)0
6)0
7)0 (-.01 IC3)
8 ) -8.82