News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Some kind of op amp fuzz besides the muff

Started by jighead81, July 19, 2011, 01:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jighead81

Just sayin  ;D ,  I really like how the Retro Channel fuzz sounds and I think it's op amp driven instead of trannys.  Some fuzzy big muffage is still my fav effect, but would like to try something with an op amp (s).  Anybody have any schems for something like the Retro Channel Fuzz?

bigmufffuzzwizz

Hey Jighead! I've never heard of the Retro Channel Fuzz. It's not too common to fuzz's based on IC chips but there are a few that I know of. Not necessarily muff oriented but probably still wild and crazy. Look for Culture Jam's What The Fuzz?! it's a wild octave fuzz based on a lm386 chip and 2 trannys. Then AC did a layout for an Underfuzz using the same LM386 chip. The Red Llama is a "tube sound fuzz" using a CD4045 chip I believe it is. Other good projects (though not fuzz) are these two..http://www.runoffgroove.com/grace.html
But only an op-amp muff is gonna give you that op-amp muff sound!  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jighead81

Thanks MuffWizz! I'm gonna breadboard that Big Daddy OD tonight from ROG. 
I think the retro channel fuzz must have just come out recently.  I really like it and it retains the low end very well.  Thanks for the tip

LaceSensor

Quote from: jighead81 on July 19, 2011, 01:19:37 AM
Just sayin  ;D ,  I really like how the Retro Channel fuzz sounds and I think it's op amp driven instead of trannys.  Some fuzzy big muffage is still my fav effect, but would like to try something with an op amp (s).  Anybody have any schems for something like the Retro Channel Fuzz?

The IC in the retro channel is just a transistor array. You could build it with the discrete transisitors, in fact its already been done.

aziltz

retro channel the fuzz is actually just a tonebender with a transistor array.  the builder is an asshole too.  harassing my forum friends as FSB

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: aziltz on August 05, 2011, 02:03:40 PM
retro channel the fuzz is actually just a tonebender with a transistor array.  the builder is an asshole too.  harassing my forum friends as FSB

why can't we all just be friends

jighead81

Ok, thanks guys.  I breadboarded the opamp muff last weekend and really dig it.  Thanks for the info on the retro fuzz too.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: jighead81 on August 06, 2011, 12:00:03 AM
Ok, thanks guys.  I breadboarded the opamp muff last weekend and really dig it.  Thanks for the info on the retro fuzz too.

There's also a muff fuzz circuit that exists in two versions, one of them using an op-amp. Dragonfly's vero works but is not biased correctly, if you search for gus's muff fuzz mods #1 or 2 that will get the thing running better. It more of a overdrive than the normal muff tone, but can sound transform with different clipping diodes. I ended up settling on 3mm Blue Led's which really pleased me. You can also take them out for a dirty boost. It's a super simple circuit, definitely worth checking out.  :)