News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What are you playing? (games)

Started by jtn191, April 22, 2016, 07:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryklippton

I bought the switch lite when it came out. I had wanted a regular one but it was just a little more than I wanted to pay and I dont have a TV. The switch lite is perfect.

mjg

We got the Ring Fit Adventure for Switch over summer, when we couldn't go outside due to smoke.  It's getting a lot of use the last month as well.  This is a game that actually makes me want to do exercise, so I think they nailed that part of it. 

Also have been hooked on Space Base DF-9 lately,  which has then got me wanting to go back to Kerbal Space Program. 

juansolo

Played through A Plague Tale. It's an indie and there's a good 8hrs play there I'd say, maybe a little more. I certainly have no issues with it's length. Tonally it's bleak, but it' well written in terms of both story and chars. You'll get annoyed with chars, but then you're supposed to as the character your playing does ;)

I highly recommend it. Put it this way, if this looks like your type of game, it probably is... If you see what I mean...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

harryklippton

I got what feels like the last ps4 on earth. Currently playing horizon zero dawn and probably bought enough games to last me the next year.

alanp

Started on Just Cause 4 (it was 80% off, on Steam.)

So far, it's a bit tedious, and feels like it's trying to be Far Cry, not Just Cause.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

somnif

Quote from: alanp on May 23, 2020, 08:49:53 PM
Started on Just Cause 4 (it was 80% off, on Steam.)

So far, it's a bit tedious, and feels like it's trying to be Far Cry, not Just Cause.

JC4 was so disappointing after the ludicrous fun of 3. Sure the balloons are a fun little gimmick, but on virtually every other front it's a step back. Graphics are worse, voice acting is less impressive, the story is more mediocre, and the gameplay loop has taking a step back to be less involved. I still go back to mess about in 3 occasionally, but 4 got deleted off my drive a day after I finished it.

alanp

I think part of it is that the map is basically one ginormous, huge, gonzo island, and my simple brain can't chunk that down into areas, like it could with JC3 (the left-hand island chain, the right-hand island chain, and the big daddy island at the top.)

I also get annoyed with arbitrary time limits, like when I have to destroy five widgets in a certain time limit... or they will reset... widgets that I have just blown to pieces, the Rico Rodriguez way. Presumably the little fix-ity fairies come along on a schedule or something.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

juansolo

SnowRunner - Everything is wrong with this 'game'. Its endless fetch quests, its progression is glacial, it's buggy, its UI and mechanics are janky. Yet, I can't stop playing it... It is essentially you driving trucks in the most insanely bullshit terrain ever, delivering stuff. It's quite pretty I suppose, and it's certainly fair when it comes to buying and selling the trucks and parts in game (never changes the prices so you can sell everything if you screw up and buy stuff that's more appropriate). You'll definitely have to watch a few guides to get how the game mechanics work as there are loops to jump through to do stuff.

However it's a strangely zen experience to play. Put some music on and the album seemingly finishes in the blink of an eye. It's a time sink like few things I've ever experienced. The daft thing being that you hardly achieve anything in terms of progression. Man it's slow, but the whole thing is slow. In some terrain I found myself mashing the throttle in low range then putting a podcast on while it climbed itself out.

...and yet I keep playing it.

At this rate I can see me enjoying Death Stranding or Euro Truck Simulator.

thesmokingman

as a former CDL holder I can't even with the concept of a truck driving simulator ... cannot even
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

juansolo

I scoffed at friends who became obsessed with Eurotruck Simulator... It's escapism of a sort I suppose, so it probably won't work for wagon drivers. Much like I can't see pilots firing up Flight Simulator for kicks.

thesmokingman

someone somewhere is driving a virtual tractor or combine as part of some farming simulator game which is ostensibly even worse ... I don't miss farming either. I just googled the factual basis for that claim and sure enough, farming simulator is apparently a multi-platform game available for xbox, ps4, switch, etc
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

alanp

Picked up Jurassic Park Evolution through Humble Bundle.

It's vaguely fun, but not engrossing, and I felt faintly guilty for wasting so much time on it. Plus some of the mechanics annoyed me. If helping the science team pisses off the commerce and security teams, then the company boss needs to call them to his office, tell them to put their big boy britches on, and get over themselves.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

somnif

Bought "Fire Emblem: Three Houses" earlier today and.... it's silly to say this, but it is irksome for a very silly reason.

The game play is fine, the story and writing are fine, and it has been fun so far overall.

But... it seems they used a ton of the same voice actors as one of my all time favorite games, Persona 5. So it keeps pulling me out of things when I hear Morgana's or Haru's voices come out of these new characters.

My brain is a very silly place sometimes....

Lubdar

I just recently started playing Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness.

I needed to find a way to relax in another world.  So far I like the vast amount of crafting possibilities, nice mountains, and the battle system is surprising given that it was a PS3 game...

(--c^.^)--c

alanp

Got Vikings: Wolves of Midgard through Humble Bundle. It starts out as a fairly basic Diablo 3 clone in the first few minutes, and is kinda fun.

But I'm glad I didn't pay for it (directly, at least.)

The Exposure mechanic sucks, hard. You spend the whole damn game looking for fires, ALL THE TIME. Including in boss fights, when you kinda have bigger fish to fry.

The difficulty in this game is stupid. I chose 'normal difficulty'. The first "Trial of the Gods" has a Level 2 minimum. At level four, I cannot beat two waves out of six. After grinding the first map four or five times for XP, I cannot beat the first boss in the first dungeon. I don't know if this game expects me to bring along ten mates or something to gang up on everything...

Characterisation, at least so far, sucks. There is the armour guy, the weapons guy, and the chick selling magic doohickeys. I don't know the name of a single thing, except for the actual village, and that is because my character is constantly screaming "FOR THE ULFUNG!"

Do not recommend.
- Terry Pratchett
My website