News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What are you playing? (games)

Started by jtn191, April 22, 2016, 07:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Taking the Amiga over to my brother's tomorrow with the express intention of playing Sensible Soccer all day... ;)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

alanp

C'mon, play Gods. Speedball 2, at the very least. Something by the Bitmap Brothers.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Willybomb

juansolo

Quote from: alanp on January 09, 2017, 08:51:00 PM
C'mon, play Gods. Speedball 2, at the very least. Something by the Bitmap Brothers.

Speedball might get some love. But Sensi is where it's at when it all comes down to it.

chromesphere

Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 09, 2017, 10:57:06 AM
Also, play the things for gods sake.. don't just horde the hardware. Nothing beats getting a groups of friends over and playing some classics.

Yeah that's the thing.  I'm looking at some of these classics like Zelda (snes and nes), TMNT turtles in time, megaman (pretty much anything megaman)...the price of these carts, I would be afraid to even use them...I think some games are now just collectable :(
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

matmosphere

It'd be a crime to have those games and never play em.

We got my six year old this thing called "Bloxels" for Xmas. The idea is that you can make your own video game on an iPad. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SF-BCPtb_GM

It's actually fun as hell to use. I've played it more than him so far.

chromesphere

For those of you that are interested in collecting, I recommend learning the basics of repair on game consoles. Buying broken system and repairing them is a great way to collect and same some money. Stuff like, most systems have soldiered on fuses that can pop and cause a system to not get power.. etc..

Ive bought 2 snes's, first one had an issue (was a private sale, I got stooged...).  It has a graphic issue, some random pixels and some carts are missing graphics.  I guess this isn't an 'easy fix' :( from what I've read could be a faulty CPU (or graphics chip...cant remember...one of the chips).  SNES chips are smd, a lot of trouble replacing a chip, a new system is probably cheaper (at the moment at least).  I should probably just rip it open to have a look around for anything obvious.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: chromesphere on January 11, 2017, 06:35:09 PM
For those of you that are interested in collecting, I recommend learning the basics of repair on game consoles. Buying broken system and repairing them is a great way to collect and same some money. Stuff like, most systems have soldiered on fuses that can pop and cause a system to not get power.. etc..

Ive bought 2 snes's, first one had an issue (was a private sale, I got stooged...).  It has a graphic issue, some random pixels and some carts are missing graphics.  I guess this isn't an 'easy fix' :( from what I've read could be a faulty CPU (or graphics chip...cant remember...one of the chips).  SNES chips are smd, a lot of trouble replacing a chip, a new system is probably cheaper (at the moment at least).  I should probably just rip it open to have a look around for anything obvious.

Might be worth hitting the CPU and memory chips with a heat gun. Couldn't hurt at this point to try.

Cody

chromesphere

Thanks Cody, good idea!  So do you mean, just heat up the physical chip?  Easy enough.  Reflowing the solder joints might be a bit more challenging.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: chromesphere on January 11, 2017, 07:13:07 PM
Thanks Cody, good idea!  So do you mean, just heat up the physical chip?  Easy enough.  Reflowing the solder joints might be a bit more challenging.

By using the heatgun on the ICs you are "reflowing it" in sorts. It's more like fixing any small broken joints and/or helping with corrosion that might have happened. I used to do this on Xbox 360s to help with the memory chips causing the RROD (Red Ring of Death!!!) lol

Cody

chromesphere

Thanks Cody, ill give it a crack.  Actually only just ordered the security bits (becoming obvious these are essential when owner this vintage gear) :)

juansolo

Sensi got some love, along with Alien Breed, Chaos Engine, Speedball 2, Super Skidmarks and ATR from what I remember. But mainly Sensi.

Picked up the Jaguar yesterday, been playing Tempest 2000 since. Can't wait to get some spinner controllers sorted for that.

m-Kresol

Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 11, 2017, 08:27:58 PM
Quote from: chromesphere on January 11, 2017, 07:13:07 PM

By using the heatgun on the ICs you are "reflowing it" in sorts. It's more like fixing any small broken joints and/or helping with corrosion that might have happened. I used to do this on Xbox 360s to help with the memory chips causing the RROD (Red Ring of Death!!!) lol

Cody

We did the same thing to an original PS3 of a friend that froze. Allowed us to restart, create a PSN+ account and transfer all his save games before it finally stopped working. Apparently some of the smd solder joints just get bad over time because the pcb is flexing a bit because of the heat.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

juansolo

Original 'fat' PS3's were bad for it. I had a very first edition one and of all the people I knew who had them (probably 4 or 5) mine was the only one still running. So I sold it while it still did (working ones were worth quite a bit of money) and bought a slim which are more reliable.

Original XBox360's were REALLY bad for it though. I think I had two RROD 360's. Got an Elite after that, and when the new (again more reliable models) came along, got shot of that and got a slim.

I didn't even bother with the rev 1 PS4 or Xbone. Got myself a PS4 Slim when they came out. Haven't bothered with the Xbone yet as there's only Forza Horizon 3 I'd want to play on that. Given that the Forza series are my favourite racing games, after they turned Forza Motorsport into a DLC-fest (intentionally released about a 1/4 of a game. You want the rest do you? You'll have to pay again, and again to get it) and intentionally ruined Forza Horizon 2 on the 360 (FH1 runs perfectly well on a 360...), they can bollocks.

It's a shame really. Especially when you take apart older consoles a bit (as I tend to do) and see just how well made they were. Even up to the original Xbox, which is a mini-tank. You just expect corners to be cut now. So like any new release these days where they rush to get them out and on shelves, you wait for the updates.

m-Kresol

I have a PS3 slim and had no problems with it. However, it never liked Sacred 2. After playing it for a while, the PS3 would freeze quite often. Weird enough, that problem transfered to other games too. Once I stopped playing sacred 2 all the other games would work reliably again.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials