News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What are you playing? (games)

Started by jtn191, April 22, 2016, 07:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg

I've been hooked on 'Duet' for the last few weeks.  Such a simple game concept, but really addictive, and implemented with such polish.  Amazing electronic soundtrack in the game as well. 

Normally I'd get bored with this sort of game pretty quickly, but this one seems to have grabbed me. 

http://www.duetgame.com

culturejam

Quote from: juansolo on May 10, 2017, 11:52:18 PM
Especially for Alan... ;)

Ah, the good old Quicksilver. I remember it well.

Still got my B&W G3, but I moved it to the garage.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

juansolo

Quote from: culturejam on May 11, 2017, 05:28:39 PM
Quote from: juansolo on May 10, 2017, 11:52:18 PM
Especially for Alan... ;)

Ah, the good old Quicksilver. I remember it well.

Still got my B&W G3, but I moved it to the garage.

Where you have a shrine to it's awesomeness...?
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jposega

Bumping this because I saw a few mentions of Raspberry Pi here.

I game infrequently, but I'm considering a Retropie system so I can play anything I could possibly want. I've got a ton of old S/NES, GB/ GBA, and N64 carts but the problem is that the consoles are old and not always functional.

How hard is setting up a Raspberry Pi when you have no Linux/ command line terminal experience? Are there any guides to it that show step by step screenshots of the setup?

Or can one buy an SD card preformatted for Retropie?

somnif

I have little Linux experience I'm afraid, but if you want to be able to play your old carts themselves, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Retron systems.  The Retron3 (NES, SNES, Genesis) is only 36$ on Amazon at the moment. The Retron5 is a bit pricier, but can play a lot more systems.

jposega

Quote from: somnif on June 30, 2017, 08:48:10 AM
I have little Linux experience I'm afraid, but if you want to be able to play your old carts themselves, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Retron systems.  The Retron3 (NES, SNES, Genesis) is only 36$ on Amazon at the moment. The Retron5 is a bit pricier, but can play a lot more systems.

My consoles still function, but then there's the hassle of plugging and unplugging or relying on a hub, having enough room for the consoles. I'd much rather go for an emulator and be able to play more than just my collection of carts. Especially since I'm moving and trying to purge a lot of stuff to lighten the load.

juansolo

Retropie 4 does pretty much everything for you and there's easy guides to follow also. You'll still have to source the roms to run, but that's no a huge biggy. Having a bit of Linux knowledge can definitely help make things easier, but I don't think it's essential as there's enough help online if you get stuck. Get a Pi3 if you want to run some of the more modern stuff on there, it'll just make a better job of it.

jposega

Thanks for the info. I might do the Pi build later, but I just discovered OpenEmu which seems to run just about everything I'd want to play on my Mac.

juansolo

OpenEmu works really well. Multi-disk games are a little bit fiddly, but otherwise, it just works.

EBRAddict

The hardest thing about Retropie is imaging the MicroSD card. There isn't much Linux to it and it's all menu driven if you want it to be.

The key to making it fun is sourcing the ROMs, but be careful of, um, "aftermarket" ROM packs because they seem to be infested with dubious executables of slavic heritage. Just upload the ROM files to the Pi, but don't install or run anything on your PC.

Oh and I've been playing bungling through Obduction on the PC. If you're a Myst/Riven fan or into head stretching puzzles it's worth a look.

thesmokingman

the hardest part about the retropie is storage space, because that dinky little 16GB microsd you put in it isn't going to hold your playstation collection. now I'm running a linux file server just to feed the thing roms, movies, and music.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

juansolo

Quote from: thesmokingman on July 03, 2017, 08:52:57 AM
the hardest part about the retropie is storage space, because that dinky little 16GB microsd you put in it isn't going to hold your playstation collection. now I'm running a linux file server just to feed the thing roms, movies, and music.

I have a 32GB microSD with retropie and all the small roms on, a further 128GB USB drive in there with all the CD images on. This also helps if you're experiencing stuttering when having all the CD images on the microSD as I was. It pretty much eliminates that.

stringsthings

Been playing Doom (2016) lately.   Very enjoyable.  Graphics are excellent.
The levels are very inventive and the gameplay is fast, twitchy, and generally unforgiving.
The soundtrack is also very good; a nice metal-like sound.
I'm not a very skilled player, so I'm sticking with "normal" difficulty which is one notch above the easiest.

For better players, there's three harder levels.
All You Need Is Love

jtn191

Been away from Madbean and music/pedals but I've been playing lots of H1Z1 King of the Kill, occasionally Rocket League, I beat Yooka Laylee. Preordered "The End is Nigh" and spiritual successor of (and for fans of) Super Meat Boy, coming out like tomorrowish!!

I've also been learning Unreal Engine 4...

nzCdog

I picked up Shadow of Mordor in the steam sale.  Need to put it aside now, semester break is over :P