News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What are you playing? (games)

Started by jtn191, April 22, 2016, 07:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Accidentally bought a Wii, so have hacked it so I can install all my Wii & GameCube software onto memory sticks. For no other reason than I can (I have a perfectly functional GameCube and Wii U).
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

mrclean77

I have not had a console in 15-ish years....or whenever ps2 had resident evil 2-ish

Anyways, buddy got me hooked playing Fortnite - gotta check out Mortal Kombat/Tekken type stuff, but

Besides Gran Turismo, what are some realistic moto GP type games? Do i want the rossi one or ???

And are there games you can play with people actually in the room w u? Lol - what is the mario kart of the Ps world? PS4 not been in the house for 24hrs and wifey gonna take a hammer to me, the 10yo, the PS or all of the above

EBRAddict

I've put in about 20hrs on Far Cry 5 on PC, running full settings at 1440p on a large monitor. It's visually gorgeous. I think the gameplay is pretty good, though some elements are repetitive or unbalanced (like helicopters). Like most Far Cry games the story line is bizarre and entertaining enough that I don't skip through the cutscenes. There are a few annoying features but overall I give it two thumbs up.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: EBRAddict on April 16, 2018, 07:31:34 PM
I've put in about 20hrs on Far Cry 5 on PC, running full settings at 1440p on a large monitor. It's visually gorgeous. I think the gameplay is pretty good, though some elements are repetitive or unbalanced (like helicopters). Like most Far Cry games the story line is bizarre and entertaining enough that I don't skip through the cutscenes. There are a few annoying features but overall I give it two thumbs up.

Same here.. almost 40 hours in and I just got the last mission unlocked (I love open world side missions also so I squeeze as much time as I can out of these games). I'm playing at 1440p @165hrz and its amazing and I have not dipped below 70fps. This game sure looks great with all its textures and lighting in full swing.

The story definitely has some cheese in it but its not as bad as some reviewers have said it was..

Cody

madbean

I never buy full priced AAA games but Far Cry 5 was just too tempting. I'm in it for the glitches and random bear attacks.

oip

i am so tempted to buy it, had great fun playing far cry 3.  hate the cutscenes and dumbass storylines but clearing outposts was endlessly entertaining.

on a similar note it's taking willpower to not grab the new god of war.

stringsthings

I played Far Cry 3 and enjoyed it.  Still haven't played 4 yet.  I'm sure I'll eventually get around to it.
I like to wait until games are old and cheap.  So 5 will be a ways off.

Still enjoying Sniper Elite 4.
All You Need Is Love

juansolo

Latest addition (the one on the right). Both modded with an UAV board (gives S-Vid and Composite output) and proper buttons to replace the awful normal button strip the select and reset normally has.

Been trying to snag a fully functional 2600 for a while. My first, it's now obvious, was faulty as I could never get a good pic from it. Cleggy got number 2 and we made a nice machine out of the pair of them (the black one). I then picked up a 7800 that was in a hell of a state and restored that thinking 'this'll cover 2600 stuff also, win/win!'. Except it couldn't run PAL-60 games and the picture isn't brilliant (it isn't on a 7800). So this is attempt 3 for me. Another sold as parts/untested one on eBay. This one's a belter. Great picture out of the box, and even better with the UAV now fitted. Seems to work with all software too.

I'm a happy chappy.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: juansolo on April 19, 2018, 08:22:04 AM
Latest addition (the one on the right). Both modded with an UAV board (gives S-Vid and Composite output) and proper buttons to replace the awful normal button strip the select and reset normally has.

Been trying to snag a fully functional 2600 for a while. My first, it's now obvious, was faulty as I could never get a good pic from it. Cleggy got number 2 and we made a nice machine out of the pair of them (the black one). I then picked up a 7800 that was in a hell of a state and restored that thinking 'this'll cover 2600 stuff also, win/win!'. Except it couldn't run PAL-60 games and the picture isn't brilliant (it isn't on a 7800). So this is attempt 3 for me. Another sold as parts/untested one on eBay. This one's a belter. Great picture out of the box, and even better with the UAV now fitted. Seems to work with all software too.

I'm a happy chappy.

Juan,

What version of 2600 is that? Is that a re-issue? Definitely doesn't look like the original versions with the slide switches  ???

juansolo

It's a 2600 Junior. First there were the heavy sixers, then the regular woody (which we all had back in the day) with six switches. Then there was a 4 switch version of the woody, and one available in black (usually called the Vader). Then at the end of it's life came the Juniors in '86. The black facia'd Juniors were only available in Ireland if I recall correctly.

I've been going for them because it's easier to perform video mods to them to work with more modern TVs and because they're little. But mainly because they're really cheap ;) £15-£20 is about the going rate for one. Which is good because it can be quite challenging to get them to behave themselves. As I say, my third attempt was the charm.

alanp

That is seriously dating you, Juan. Even I would consider any kind of Atari to be granddad territory.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

midwayfair

Quote from: alanp on April 19, 2018, 09:29:16 AM
That is seriously dating you, Juan. Even I would consider any kind of Atari to be granddad territory.

I'm only 36 and me and my cousin played plenty on his when we were kids ... it was his brother's (who's older by several years), but even so ...

I was at the comic book shop today (was thinking of getting the Superman 1000 issue until I found out it was eight issues that cost several dollars each) and they recently got a collection of SNES games from someone ... still in shrink wrap. It was like a dozen games. Who the heck buys video game cartridges and leaves them in the box unopened? What kind of madness is this?

Nevertheless, I thought to myself, "Juan would appreciate this ..."

Also, they had a gold Zelda cartridge, which I've never seen in person.

juansolo

I had one of these before the Atari as a kid:

Which is essentially a British Pong machine (same internally as the Grandstand I think).

....46, for the record ;)

Quote from: midwayfair on April 19, 2018, 08:15:09 PM

I'm only 36 and me and my cousin played plenty on his when we were kids ... it was his brother's (who's older by several years), but even so ...

I was at the comic book shop today (was thinking of getting the Superman 1000 issue until I found out it was eight issues that cost several dollars each) and they recently got a collection of SNES games from someone ... still in shrink wrap. It was like a dozen games. Who the heck buys video game cartridges and leaves them in the box unopened? What kind of madness is this?

Nevertheless, I thought to myself, "Juan would appreciate this ..."

Also, they had a gold Zelda cartridge, which I've never seen in person.

I bought Joust for the 7800 recently, still shrink-wrapped, and I had exactly the same reaction. Why?! 31 years...

FWIW, none of my games are shrink-wrapped. I don't see the point in owning games you can't play. That's just weird.

Oddly the NES is one of the only systems I don't own. They kinda passed us by in the UK. I'm not even sure I've ever seen one in person. The Master System was bigger, but still not particularly widespread. We were heavily into computers by then Spectrum (horrid, I had 3) and C64 mainly from the 8-bits, then ST and Amiga. By the time the PC started taking over, I had both a PC and a SNES so I could still play old arcade style games on something. The SNES is easily my favourite console of all time.

For those that might be interested, there is a geeky section of my website also: http://juansolo.co.uk/geekery/index.html Well for as long as it lasts, as I'll be cancelling my hosting in a couple of months. I'll look to getting a static IP and sticking it all on a raspberry pi at some point after that.

thesmokingman

been working out the kinks of a portable retroarch/emulationstation system on windows 10 ... gained some systems over the retropie my kids are using (jaguar, 3do, n64, psp, and dreamcast). makes me wish I had more RAM and processor so I could run gamecube, wii, and ps2.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

juansolo

I'm running retro-pie also. But these days as I have most of the original systems, I just run arcade stuff on it.