News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What are you playing? (games)

Started by jtn191, April 22, 2016, 07:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lubdar

I know I'm late to the party, but I've been slowly progressing through Dark Souls 3 on PS4 one death at a time, and enjoying the DS port of Chrono Trigger.
(--c^.^)--c

Freppo

Anyone playing Jedi: Fallen order?

I loved the old Jedi Knight games, so I've been wanting a new single player Star Wars game for years,
but I have read mixed reviews, and rarely have time to play games nowadays. :/

juansolo

JFO looks like the Star Wars game we wanted (indeed what Project: Ragtag was before it was canned for not having a version of Ultimate Team in it...). For me however it's a bit too buggy at the moment (watch Digital foundry). I think if you have an Xbox One X you might be ok, but otherwise it might be worth waiting a while and seeing if they fix it. As usual it's rough around the edges/unfinished as most games are these days and we might have to wait for them to get their fingers out of their arses and actually fix the problems with it before it's not a mess on base consoles.

So yeah, want it, but won't be even thinking about picking it up for at least 3 months.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Govmnt_Lacky

Ordered the Oculus Quest for my son for Xmas. Hope it is as good as the reviews that I have read  :o

somnif

I finally got around to setting up a ps2 emulator on my machine. Currently playing Persona 3 (its wild seeing all the stuff that changed/improved by the time they got to game 5). Fun game, if a little flat in terms of story and background (compared to p5).

Rather than spending time setting up the world its just "Oh here, here's your new dorm, why is this girl pointing a gun at you, oh hey monsters are attacking", so a kinda in media res thing.

alanp

Picked up the Land, Sea, and Air expansion for Just Cause 3, and it was pretty fun :) although I'm glad I got it on special for $5.

No real cutscenes in it, just slideshow montages with voice-overs that a very skilled artist put together at some point.

I also seem to have picked up bad habits from the outposts in base JC3. In those, enemies continuously respawn in escalating fashion, just like Grand Theft Auto, meaning that you're best off ignoring them as best you can, and focusing on just trashing all the chaos objects. Military bases are different, in that once you've killed everyone, they don't respawn (nowhere near as badly as in the outposts, anyway), but by then you've been well trained to ignore people shooting at you, thanks to the outposts.

I had to stop, think about the whole affair, and approach some of the expansion areas by clearing enemies first. Very jarring.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: alanp on November 23, 2019, 07:46:22 PM
Picked up the Land, Sea, and Air expansion for Just Cause 3, and it was pretty fun :) although I'm glad I got it on special for $5.

No real cutscenes in it, just slideshow montages with voice-overs that a very skilled artist put together at some point.

I also seem to have picked up bad habits from the outposts in base JC3. In those, enemies continuously respawn in escalating fashion, just like Grand Theft Auto, meaning that you're best off ignoring them as best you can, and focusing on just trashing all the chaos objects. Military bases are different, in that once you've killed everyone, they don't respawn (nowhere near as badly as in the outposts, anyway), but by then you've been well trained to ignore people shooting at you, thanks to the outposts.

I had to stop, think about the whole affair, and approach some of the expansion areas by clearing enemies first. Very jarring.

I have had a love/hate affair with JC3. I have completed every trophy except for the 5-star on every challenge AND.. the shout out trophy. I have found it nearly impossible to get 5 stars in every challenge (at least one of every type seems impossible to get a 5-star score) and I have absolutely no control over having some random stranger call me out to best a score.

call me a perfectionist but, I am frustrated by these road blocks in getting the Platinum trophy  :-\

midwayfair

Just "played" To The Moon. I put played in quotes because it's not really a game, it's more like an interactive novel.

All the damn feels, god damn. The closest comparison I can make is to the movie The Fountain.

Just started another point-and-click, Night of the Rabbit.

mjg

Ahh yeah, To the Moon has all of the feels.  There is another one by the same developers, called A Bird Story, which is similar.  I'd recommend that one too.

madbean

Quote from: mjg on November 26, 2019, 12:24:22 AM
Ahh yeah, To the Moon has all of the feels.  There is another one by the same developers, called A Bird Story, which is similar.  I'd recommend that one too.

Me: Oh, that sounds cool I haven't played anything in a while.
- Looks up To the Moon on Steam.
"This game is in your library".

Oh, dear.

LaceSensor

jedi: fallen order

so far much fun!

mjg

Started playing "Kentucky Route 0" last night.  Another 'not quite a game' click through story.  This one has less feels, and more just...strange.   Enjoying it so far.

I keep buying bundles of games and not having time to play them.  Trying to get through some of the backlog recently!

selfdestroyer

Quote from: LaceSensor on November 26, 2019, 09:00:58 AM
jedi: fallen order

so far much fun!

Im playing it on PC and I am having a blast with it but man! this thing is buggy. I cant wait for some solid updates to this game.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on November 23, 2019, 01:44:17 PM
Ordered the Oculus Quest for my son for Xmas. Hope it is as good as the reviews that I have read  :o

Finally got a chance to mess around with this thing. I will say this... if you have the means... GET IT!

The VR experience is AWESOME! Of course, I had to get it tested and set up for my son for Xmas  ;D so I decided to give it a try. I have never done VR before but this thing is amazing. So far, I have only done the tutorials and a few of the interactive videos (roller coaster and HALO jump) but the experience is unreal.

It was a bonus to find out I got all 3 editions of the Vader Immortal game for FREE too.

alanp

One of the things that hugely annoyed me in Undertale (which I hated) was how, when the text boxes appear, the constant sound of "A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A" plays, nonstop. It's just as repetitive and annoying as the textual representation would suggest. I cottoned on pretty quick that if I skipped all the text boxes in the game, I wouldn't have to sit through hours of "A-A-A". Apparently I missed some really crucial points by doing this.

But when I brought this up in a chatroom, I was told that the annoying, constant sound for text boxes is common in RPGs.

Undertale is the first game I've ever played that does this. Neverwinter Nights does not do this. Skyrim doesn't. Oblivion didn't. Oldschool 486 era RPGs didn't do this.

Is the annoying text box noise a console thing?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website