News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Deadringer questions...

Started by gflobe, July 25, 2011, 02:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gflobe

Hi, I am wondering if the Deadringer can be run at 18 volts without any special modifications and also if anyone knows where I can find a 1n4005 diode for this build. Small bear does not have it nor do any of the other suppliers I use. Thanks

bigmufffuzzwizz

The datasheet for the JRC4558 says Max Input Voltage shouldn't be more than 15V. You can try it but there's a good chance you'll fry the chip. If you decide to run it at 18v, make sure you use 25v+ electrolytic caps so they don't blow.
Unless the 1n4005 is there for a special reason, 1n4001-1n4007 can be substituted for each other. Here's a cheap one though: http://www.taydaelectronics.com/servlet/the-497/1N4005-1A-600V-Rectifier/Detail
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

gflobe

thanks, is there a suitable IC that can handle 18 volts?

dwstanford

Ive run my deadringer at 18 volts and it did not fry the chip.  All my caps were rated high enough and i had an extra chip, so i gave it a try.  But it did not sound that great honestly.  It took away most of the breakup and pretty much sounded like a clean boost.  Maybe thats just my peresonal preference, but i prefer it at 9v.