News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Soldering 9v jack negative lead to metal case?

Started by xorophone, June 30, 2016, 04:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xorophone

Hello! When building a pedal with a metal enclosure, can I just solder the negative lead of my 9v DC jack directly to the case? I've built a few pedals before, but only using plastic enclosures.

jimilee

Wire it to the negative lug on the input jack and then to the stomp. If your using metal jacks, no worries, if not, then wire the jacks together. Or yes, the enclosure will work, it's just more difficult to solder it to the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Jebus

Yea, like Jimi said: if you are using metal jacks you can just run a wire from ground to the ground lug of either input or output jack. If you are using plastic jacks it gets bit more complicated. I have couple times soldered ground wire to a washer which I've put between the plastic jack and the enclosure.

xorophone

Quote from: jimilee on June 30, 2016, 06:39:37 PM
Wire it to the negative lug on the input jack and then to the stomp. If your using metal jacks, no worries, if not, then wire the jacks together. Or yes, the enclosure will work, it's just more difficult to solder it to the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote from: Jebus on June 30, 2016, 09:34:37 PM
Yea, like Jimi said: if you are using metal jacks you can just run a wire from ground to the ground lug of either input or output jack. If you are using plastic jacks it gets bit more complicated. I have couple times soldered ground wire to a washer which I've put between the plastic jack and the enclosure.

I'm using metal jacks so I should be fine. Thanks guys for the replies! :)

jimilee

Quote from: Jebus on June 30, 2016, 09:34:37 PM
That's pretty clever.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EATyourGUITAR

if the enclosure is painted or powder coated I sand paper the inside area around the jack to ensure good grounding for years to come. a PCB with a grounded standoff would also work if you don't mind the bolt sticking through the case to the outside. you can buy solder lugs that hang off the pot shafts and ground to the case. search for solder lug or solder terminal 0.25". a smaller solder lug can be used a different way by bolting it to the enclosure.