Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY pedal board for some DIY pedals!!!

Started by flanagan0718, July 26, 2016, 07:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

Here is the IKEA shelf set I used.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80287809/

I used one for the main board and the other for the Angled sides, and other re-enforcement pieces throughout. I also made the main board shorter (length wise) so it now measures about 27 inches. Yesterday I ordered some locking Neutrik jacks for the in and out puts on the back of the board. I need to build myself a DC Brick but for now I'll just use a daisy chain. Here are a couple pictures of the almost final project.

I also have these "pedal link" things I've been meaning to try.

If they work well I'll probably end up ordering more from reverb. They look like a better solution than Velcro.

Now I just need to decide on a color...I'm thinking red. What do you guys think? Thanks for reading.

-Mike-

daleykd

I need to do a bit more on mine.  I have the same shelf, and I've kinda stained it, but was thinking (just today actually!) about angling it and giving it some strength.

Show us under the skirt!  :)  I want to see how you structured it.

I plan on keeping mine the length that it came as.

crashguitar

This looks very similar to my board. I used the same shelf. I have actually reworked it a few times.
I also ordered some pedal links. I like them much better than velcro. They are really just bicycle chain links, so I ended up spending $5 on a bike chain and took it apart. You get a lot more links for a lot less money.

I was wondering how the volume pedal angle worked on your board. I think I have a steeper angle, so I hated the angle for my volume pedal. Curious how yours works.

chad

jimilee

I built the same thing, I did angle it though. Painted it black and used industrial Velcro. There's a thread somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Those pedal link things are bike chain links. I bought a chain breaker and an old chain and did the same thing. They work extremely well but I only used two on each pedal so it was easier to swap things. If you want more let me know, I think I still have the old chain laying around somewhere.

flanagan0718

Quote from: daleykd on July 26, 2016, 08:00:15 AM
Show us under the skirt!  :)

:o I'm not that kind of guy...lol

I'll take a few more pictures of it when I get home. The angle I have it at is just the height of one of the planks on its side. For bracing I used one of the side runners and cut it into quarters then mounted it on the inside of the back plank.

The reason I cut it down 2 or three inches was so the back plank would mount to the flush to the sides.

I don't play out anymore so I didn't want too much of an angle on the board I figures 2 inches (the width of the planks) would be plenty. I'm usually just sitting on an old drum throne so the angle of the volume pedal works just fine. I used the same method for measuring the max angle as you would for setting up a kick pedal for a bass drum. take a step and have someone measure the max height of your toe, then set the height of the pedal accordingly.

Quote from: crashguitar on July 26, 2016, 08:05:43 AM
I also ordered some pedal links. I like them much better than velcro. They are really just bicycle chain links, so I ended up spending $5 on a bike chain and took it apart. You get a lot more links for a lot less money.
chad

Cool! Thanks for the tip Chad. I'll have to get a bike chain and do the same.

Quote from: Matmosphere on July 26, 2016, 08:43:28 AM
Those pedal link things are bike chain links. I bought a chain breaker and an old chain and did the same thing. They work extremely well but I only used two on each pedal so it was easier to swap things. If you want more let me know, I think I still have the old chain laying around somewhere.

If you have some spares, I'll take them if you're not going to use them. Let me know what i can give you in exchange!

-Mike-

dbp512

Quote from: Matmosphere on July 26, 2016, 08:43:28 AM

I've been thinking about switching from velcro to these links to prevent pedal wobble. If you have extras no one's claimed yet, I'd be happy to take them off your hand.
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

matmosphere

I definitely prefer this method to Velcro, but I'm currently doing zip ties because you can swap things quickly. It's not as pretty but it works well.

I found the tool, but I'm not sure where the chain is. If I can track it down I'll be happy to help you guys out.

flanagan0718

Quote from: Matmosphere on July 26, 2016, 11:27:05 AM
I definitely prefer this method to Velcro, but I'm currently doing zip ties because you can swap things quickly. It's not as pretty but it works well.

I found the tool, but I'm not sure where the chain is. If I can track it down I'll be happy to help you guys out.

Ahh zip ties! so many different uses! No worries man. Thanks!

flanagan0718

As promised, here are some shots of the under side.