News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Heavy Water Two

Started by alanp, August 20, 2016, 11:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=12617.0

My first Infinitphase clone was done over several PCBs, to get around my then-limitation of a maximum board size of 80x100mm. I was never very happy with this build, as the final size was gargantuan, and the nature of the multiple boards rubbed me up the wrong way.

So I've subbed for fab a second layout. This one is ALL on one PCB, and sized for a 1550E enclosure, much smaller than the 1456KL3 I used for the first build. Audio ground and noisy ground have separate planes. PSU is onboard, and needs 15-18VAC to run -- Juan could whip up some kind of 9VDC -> +/-15VDC arrangement, I'm sure, but I can't be bothered. The two cut outs at the bottom are for the normal stomp switch, and the 4/8 Stage Switch as a stomp.

I'm doing a ten board run, and have no plans to do any more past that. Once I've verified my personal board, I'll look into flogging the rest.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Hangingmonkey

Cool. Well if this is the official sign up thread, count me in. My vero version is still on the shelf from 3 years ago and I don't think I will have the time to finish all the off board wiring

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zombie_rock123

Count me in too. Its astounding the layouts you do and that you only do it as a hobby.
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

Jules

Quote from: zombie_rock123 on August 21, 2016, 01:03:03 AM
Count me in too. Its astounding the layouts you do and that you only do it as a hobby.
Agree with this absolutely, count me in for one.
Thanks

stringsthings

Please put me down for a PCB.  Phase shifters FTW!
All You Need Is Love

m-Kresol

I'm intrigued... The design looks good Alan and sure is complex. But it seems like an effect I don't see myself using in the end, so I'll give someone else the chance to grab one  :)

Oh, just saw this: are the diodes on top of IC5 touching the IC pads? looks really close on the pic.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

stringsthings

Quote from: m-Kresol on August 21, 2016, 10:37:42 AM
Oh, just saw this: are the diodes on top of IC5 touching the IC pads? looks really close on the pic.

From looking at the schematic,  I think they're supposed to be connected.   Looks like IC5 is a LM3914 and the diodes are zeners
All You Need Is Love

Jules

Are these 16mm Pots or 12mm so you can use clear Led style pots like the Heavy Water mk1?
It looks like a great build!

alanp

- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

I'm turning over in my head how to do a CV Input to directly control the LEDs (so you can plug in your own LFO, with a 0 - 5V range), or a foot-pedal input to do the same with an expression pedal. This is going to need a couple of switching jacks, I suspect, as well as some perf board.

Expression pedal'ing the LFO Rate should be a straightforward matter of a parallel resistance to the Rate pot, just like the Lovetone Wobulator. Not sure if I'll bother.

Cracking open the first Heavy Water, I'm getting a swing of 12.6V - 4.8V at maximum depth at pin 2 of CVMIX, with 7.8V swing, centered around 8.7V (this is with my own unit, after calibrating it, values will probably differ for other units after calibration.) So an offset of gnd lifted to 4.8V, with an amplification of 1.74X for an input range of 0-5V, if my maths is right. Two trimmers would be the way to go. (Yes, I'm thinking out keyboard.)

Manas, did you get yours to the calibration stage?
- Terry Pratchett
My website

juansolo

Quote from: alanp on August 20, 2016, 11:48:49 PMJuan could whip up some kind of 9VDC -> +/-15VDC arrangement, I'm sure, but I can't be bothered.

Can do it with a brick, but entirely depends on the current draw. The Maestro PS-1A was just too much for it for example. Otherwise probably easier to do 18vDC to +/-15vDC. Which is the way I'd probably go.

Looks insane dude BTW! Impressive sir!

Reminds me that I'm sure I have one of your mad PCBs to build still. Must get around to that!
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Hangingmonkey

Hey Alan, no didn't get that far. I did the main vero and the power vero (was there a separate power vero... It's all vague in memory now). By the time I finished doing the vero and looked at all the off board wiring that needed doing next and the separate grounds, I shelved it as decided it needed too much time investment.  (OK, basically couldn't be arsed!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

alanp

I have a horrible suspicion that the pcbs will turn up tomorrow -- AFTER World of Warcraft: Legion has been released.

If they do, you lot had better start praying that WoW gets DDoS'ed under a deluge of eager basement dwellers.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

selfdestroyer

Quote from: alanp on August 29, 2016, 09:40:20 PM
I have a horrible suspicion that the pcbs will turn up tomorrow -- AFTER World of Warcraft: Legion has been released.

If they do, you lot had better start praying that WoW gets DDoS'ed under a deluge of eager basement dwellers.

LOL this is great.

Cody