News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pork Barrell Component query

Started by LaceSensor, July 31, 2011, 04:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Dear all

How vital is the 8n2 capacitors for this build? They seem impossible to source for me in the UK.
Likewise, the 12nF.
Could these be swapped for 10nF and 15nF respectively without issues?
Also, for the pF values, do you recommend WIMA caps, or will ceramic ones do fine?

Thanks

LS

gtr2

Ceramics are fine for the pF values.  If I was building the pork barrel I'd just throw a 10n in for the 8n2.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

LaceSensor

Quote from: gtr2 on July 31, 2011, 05:09:12 AM
Ceramics are fine for the pF values.  If I was building the pork barrel I'd just throw a 10n in for the 8n2.

Josh

Yeah figures. within 15% or so I reckon itll be ok...

bigmufffuzzwizz

Have you checked out http://www.taydaelectronics.com/servlet/StoreFront and http://futurlec.com/CapPolyFilm.shtml. These 2 companies are over-seas so shipping to you would most likely be the same as shipping to us in the US. Just know if you order from Futurlec, there's usually waiting time. I haven't waited more than a month for my stuff from them, but it sometimes seems like it. Anyways the prices are cheap enough to stock up and not have to worry for awhile.  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

LaceSensor

HI

yeah I use futurlec just I am waiting near a month for a previous order and dont want to reorder until its sorted. I am pretty sure the 15n / 10n replacements on the 12n / 8.2n arent going to ruin the pedal..or I hope not.

bigmufffuzzwizz

I don't think those substitute values will do anything drastic to the sound of the pedal. Yes Futurlec is slow especially the first time I ordered. I waiting about a month and after that I've received a package in as little as 2 weeks. My rule with them is to order early and by the time you need the stuff it will be there. I guess its different when your only working on 1 project and your missing 1 or 2 components ;D

LaceSensor

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on July 31, 2011, 01:03:17 PM
I don't think those substitute values will do anything drastic to the sound of the pedal. Yes Futurlec is slow especially the first time I ordered. I waiting about a month and after that I've received a package in as little as 2 weeks. My rule with them is to order early and by the time you need the stuff it will be there. I guess its different when your only working on 1 project and your missing 1 or 2 components ;D

Hi, Ive had a mixed bag of results. First one was 3 weeks, second order seemed like less, 10 days or so. Now waiting nearly a month. Im sure its all fine, credit card protected if not, just inconvenient.

Ive got a number of things ongoing just wanted to work with some bean boards Ive purchased. So far all good and very easy to populate.

Thanks

dbharris

My experience with futurlec is that if you are waiting a month it is because they don't have a part or parts you ordered in stock.  They are pretty good if you email them, but they never take the first step to tell you that they won't be able to ship until their stock comes in.  Sometimes you can change the part to something similar and get it shipped right out.

gtr2

Quote from: dbharris on August 01, 2011, 07:24:49 AM
My experience with futurlec is that if you are waiting a month it is because they don't have a part or parts you ordered in stock.  They are pretty good if you email them, but they never take the first step to tell you that they won't be able to ship until their stock comes in.  Sometimes you can change the part to something similar and get it shipped right out.

+1  I always contact them a few days after an order to confirm parts availability and make adjustments as needed.  You'll get your items in around two weeks this way.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: dbharris on August 01, 2011, 07:24:49 AM

That makes sense. Have you received responses from them? I tried contacting them the first time I ordered when I waited the longest and I didn't get any reply.

dbharris

They have always emailed me back within 2 days, it usually takes about 3/4 of a day I think because of the time difference.  I know that they have several contact email addresses depending on what you need from them.  Maybe check again who you sent it to and re-send it to customer service or order inquiry. I forget what they call it exactly...

LaceSensor

I emailed them ,they have backorder on some C taper pots in my order.
They offered to ship the partial order , which I agreed on. damn them! been waiting ages.

GuitarManiac32

Quote from: LaceSensor on August 01, 2011, 03:20:53 PM
I emailed them ,they have backorder on some C taper pots in my order.
They offered to ship the partial order , which I agreed on. damn them! been waiting ages.

I had the same problem. I ordered the 250kC pot from Futurelec, but didn´t receive any parts for a month. I started asking about my order and they said they don´t have 250kC pots. They should´ve let me know about that earlier. Then I decided to get 100kC and 500kC pots. Now I´m wondering which one would work better as the MIX pot? Does anyone think it makes a big difference or is the working range shorter with 100kC and longer with 500kC? Or should I use the 500kC with some resistor? Or can I use 250kA wired backwards?

Haberdasher

I would take the 500kc and put a 470k resistor between lugs 1 & 3.  see if that works for you.  at worst, it will do until you get a replacement.

fwiw I got my 250kC at mammoth
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

GuitarManiac32

Quote from: Haberdasher on August 22, 2011, 07:51:10 AM
I would take the 500kc and put a 470k resistor between lugs 1 & 3.  see if that works for you.  at worst, it will do until you get a replacement.

fwiw I got my 250kC at mammoth

Thanks for the reply :) I´ll try it and see if it works fine :)