News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Moodring + modulation (video added)

Started by Boba7, August 27, 2016, 01:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boba7

Just a quick word to let you know that I changed the feedback section of my Moodring, almost as described in the Moodring mods topic. Basically the feedback pot only affects the delay section, and so I can bring it on the verge of oscillation, with modulation engaged, then hitting the BTDR2. And it sounds AMAZING. To my ears it's even more usable than what I had previously.

I didn't add another feedback section for the whole circuit as I didn't feel the need for it.

If anyone's interested, I'll post a schematic here or in the Moodring mods topic.

Also I changed replaced the tone section with the one from the Tenebrion/Box of Hall, which I feel is nicer. It still goes to the following opamp so that you can have CRAZY loud reverb with a turn of a trimpot.

Anyways, I thought I should share that.

:)

cajone5

Interested in mod info. Also the demo. I have plans to swap a couple things on mine already (pot tapers on the shape control and mod speed control) so I may use that opportunity to redo the feedback depending on what's involved.

lego4040

Please post, I've gone back and forth with the mods so many times already. With trying to determine what I want and what sounds better to my ears I literally wore the board out ::) I couldn't help myself, this pedal sounds to good to not want to screw around with it and get more out of it. So in the end I am ordering another board and this time I will be gentle with it and build it one time ::)
I cant box up a board that looks like it was beaten to death. I changed the Dwell pot to the feedback mod then added the new dwell pot mod off pins 3 & 7 on the PT2339. I did get too much crazy oscillation if I had the feedback up to high and then the Dwell up as well. I was wondering If a lower value pot would help that.

Boba7

Yes I will definitely keep you guys posted, I just have to check if I'm 100% positive it sounds better to my ears. Yesterday it definitely did. Some really interesting sounds. More later! :)

Boba7

Ok so here's what I did to my moodring... I warn you it's kind of a lot of work... A bit ridiculous even... :D But I LOOOOOOVE it!

1 - replaced everything that goes to pin 6 of the PT2399 by the Deluxe Pitch Pirate delay time and modulation section. Gives me a much wider modulation even when the time knob is at 0. I made a vero layout for that. Obviously I made the time pot much smaller than on the Pitch Pirate.

2 - replaced the tone section with the one from the Tenebrion, only with a 100nf instead of 22nf, and a 10kA instead of 10kB.

3 - replaced the feedback path with an only PT2399 feedback path, as seen here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=20056.0
Except I changed a few values to have brighter repeats that wont muddy the sound too much (not bassy). I find that this way it goes really well into the BTDR2, even when the tone is very dark (100nf can get very dark)
What I love is that I can have modulating oscillation that goes into the brick, which sounds awesome.
And when the time pot is turned up you start hearing the echoes more distinctly, which kinda sounds like a great multi tap delay. Made me think a bit of the EQD Afterneath too.

4 - another slight cap change : C11 is 470pf, C13 is 150nf.

Anyways, here's the schematics, not including the Deluxe Pitch Pirate section :

Here's the Pitch Pirate delay / modulation vero :

I eventually used a wave pot, not a trimpot. And my delay pot is a 50kB with a 120k across pin 1&2, so about 35k.

I'll try to post a video soon to show some settings.

And finally, a couple pics of my build. Please don't mock the gut shot, I literally tortured that poor pcb, it's such a frankenstein build... :D
"Here, Air" is a song by John Frusciante that I love.

cajone5

That's truly awesome and quite impressive -- I don't know that I'd have the energy to figure out how to do all that on my current mood ring but I'd be interested to see if a vero layout could be made (vero on this kind of circuit is well beyond my layout abilities) or some simple steps to modifying the madbean build to do all this.  I am sure, given enough time I could figure it out, but I have too many competing projects to figure all this out :)  Maybe once I see the demo I'll change my mind though  ;)

PaulL

That sounds pretty excellent to me. Has a really nice depth to the sound (no pun intended).

Boba7

Thanks!

Haha I'm totally ashamed of the gut shot, but oh well...

I'll definitely record a quick demo when I get the time! :)

lego4040

Ooof that's gonna take time to absorb and put into effect. You really changed alot on this now. I ordered a new board as well and have it sitting on my bench waiting. Cant wait to hear how yours sounds now