News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Electric Druid Delay

Started by bsoncini, December 20, 2016, 09:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HamSandwich

F*** me that is awesome. Have been using the TAPLFO for a while, can't wait to get this new chip

slacker775

If you order, you might also want to snag the TAPLFO IC if you plan on doing a Tapanorator.  Can help to get over the hump for free shipping.

bsoncini

Just got an email yesterday that mine shipped. Unfortunately I'm so busy with work that I don't know when I'll be able to build it.

bsoncini

Just got mine in the mail. Quick 2 day shipping to France. Wish I had some time to build it.

cloudscapes

It's great seeing DIY-able delays that arent just a 2399/FV-1!

Hopefully he'll make a version 2 with a few options, with that much delay time you'd love a hold feature!  ;D

flanagan0718

I personally don't mind the PT designs. Yes the chip is unreliable sometimes but the FV1 is a nightmare IMO. The software sucks and there is little to no "how to" info out there. Plus the forum is a joke. This, however is VERY promising looking. From glancing at the doc it looks like he even gives you the file to burn your own chip. I'll be looking at it a bit closer tonight. Thanks for posting this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flanagan0718

I personally don't mind the PT designs. Yes the chip is unreliable sometimes but the FV1 is a nightmare IMO. The software sucks and there is little to no "how to" info out there. Plus the forum is a joke. This, however is VERY promising looking. From glancing at the doc it looks like he even gives you the file to burn your own chip. I'll be looking at it a bit closer tonight. Thanks for posting this!

cloudscapes

Quote from: flanagan0718 on January 01, 2017, 06:33:05 PM

Have you checked out spin cad? It's a visual environment for FV-1 effects, very easy to use!
http://holycityaudio.com/spincad-designer-2/

flanagan0718

Quote from: cloudscapes on January 01, 2017, 07:29:38 PM
Quote from: flanagan0718 on January 01, 2017, 06:33:05 PM

Have you checked out spin cad? It's a visual environment for FV-1 effects, very easy to use!
http://holycityaudio.com/spincad-designer-2/

I have, not really my cup of tea.

bsoncini

Anyone built one of these yet.  Mine had a ton of hiss also when bypassed.  Talking with Tom from electricdruid I tried a few things that he suggested.  The latest that really helped was changing some resistors.  So in case anyone else has the same problem.  Hope this helps

Here is what tom said.
"Ok, I've got a different fix for you.

The noise is from two sources - 12-bit quantisation noise, and DAC noise. Neither is anything I can do anything about, unfortunately. That's the price of using through-hole parts, since all the modern codecs are only available in surface-mount.

So the solution is to do what we can to improve our signal-to-noise ratio. As you say, boosting the signal helps.

My thought was to boost the signal at the pre-delay filter, and then reduce it again at the output mixer. This increases the level going through the delay line and should help the S/N. I've left the dry path alone, so the pedal should keep the same volume level when bypassed.

The modification is this:

Pre-delay filter (gives gain of x4.8 below 9.3KHz)
R3: From 12K to 5K6
R4: From 12K to 22K
R5: From 47K to 27K

Output mixer (gain of x0.212, gives matching attenuation)
R19: From 10K to 47K"

cajone5

definitely want to  remember these exist.  Too many projects at the moment but this is definitely on the "want to build" list.

dan.schumaker

Quote from: bsoncini on January 31, 2017, 06:09:43 PM
Anyone built one of these yet.  Mine had a ton of hiss also when bypassed.  Talking with Tom from electricdruid I tried a few things that he suggested.  The latest that really helped was changing some resistors.  So in case anyone else has the same problem.  Hope this helps

Here is what tom said.
"Ok, I've got a different fix for you.

The noise is from two sources - 12-bit quantisation noise, and DAC noise. Neither is anything I can do anything about, unfortunately. That's the price of using through-hole parts, since all the modern codecs are only available in surface-mount.

So the solution is to do what we can to improve our signal-to-noise ratio. As you say, boosting the signal helps.

My thought was to boost the signal at the pre-delay filter, and then reduce it again at the output mixer. This increases the level going through the delay line and should help the S/N. I've left the dry path alone, so the pedal should keep the same volume level when bypassed.

The modification is this:

Pre-delay filter (gives gain of x4.8 below 9.3KHz)
R3: From 12K to 5K6
R4: From 12K to 22K
R5: From 47K to 27K

Output mixer (gain of x0.212, gives matching attenuation)
R19: From 10K to 47K"

Thats awesome.  Mine has a good bit of hiss/white noise too.  I will try those fixes tonight!

bsoncini

Some further clarification. I asked Tom about tweaking the resistors he told me to change to try and perfect it since I socketed them. It depends on your guitar output.

According to Tom

"
Further adjustment of the values would depend on exactly what signal level your guitar puts out. The circuit can cope with around 3Vpp input, so the pre-delay filter needs to boost the incoming signal to as close to that value as possible without running it into distortion. The values I sent you give a x4.7 boost on the front and matching attenuation at the mixer, so the noise level gets shoved down to nearly a 1/5th, but the max input signal drops to 680mV."

bsoncini

Also. He just updated the website to show a visual of what to do. http://electricdruid.net/diy-digital-delay/

Philthy